Help Lambeth Larder Community Food Resource to raise £10k towards our vital work supporting local people in financial crisis.
Before Covid-19, around 30% of Lambeth residents lived in poverty after housing costs. 36% of children in Lambeth were living in food poverty compared to 31% nationally. Covid-19 has worsened the situation for many local people.
Covid-19 restrictions may be easing, but many people still face insecure work, reduced income, and the ongoing threat of illness. The situation is forcing many people to choose between food and heating their homes.
Throughout the pandemic, Lambeth Larder has been helping local people to stay connected to crucial services like emergency food, advice, and other support.The future feels uncertain. If Lambeth Larder doesn't raise more funds, there’s a real chance that we won’t be here in a few months’ time.
Lambeth Larder works to reduce local poverty. We do this by creating and sharing free information and resources to help empower people in financial crisis. We are a social enterprise based in Brixton. Since 2017, we have been connecting Lambeth residents in need to emergency food and other vital support.
We work with many local organisations including Age UK Lambeth, Brixton Advice Centre, Carers’ Hub Lambeth, Brixton Bugle & Blog, Centre 70, Clapham Park Food Bank, Compliments of the House, Incredible Edible Lambeth, Indebox, JAGS Foundation, Lambeth Council, Lambeth GP Food Co-op, Lambeth Mutual Aid, Money A&E, Norwood & Brixton Food Bank, Olive Branch Aid, People’s Fridge Brixton, Lambeth Mutual Aid, Lambeth Portuguese Wellbeing Partnership, Rastafari Movement UK Food & Wellbeing, South London Cares, Vauxhall Food Bank, Vassall & Coldharbour Covid-19 Response Consortium, Waterloo Food Bank, and more.
Lambeth Council recently nominated Lambeth Larder for BBC Radio London’s ‘Make A Difference Hero’campaign for our work during the pandemic.
During the pandemic, our work is needed more than ever. Throughout the crisis, we’ve been super busy:
- We’ve linked community groups to businesses that have surplus food.
- We’ve built a new website, and online Covid-19 Response Map. They list over 200 local organisations, that support with food, fuel, advice, mental health, and more.
- Twice a year, we print 10,000, free, paper directories for people who are not online. We distribute them to GP surgeries, Children’s Centres, and food banks.
- We've provided valuable information and guidance to local community groups, and connected them to each other, helping create a more resilient sector.
Virginia founded Lambeth Larder in 2017, she is an artist and social entrepreneur with over 14 years’ experience of working with communities. Our co-directors are Joe, who is an artist and chef, and Lisa who is an experienced fundraiser and jazz singer. Our team are Celestia (Social Media & Marketing), Tola (Data Support); Saira, Ajuub, and Ebony support us for special projects, and when we need an extra pair (or two!) of hands. We all live locally.
"Norwood & Brixton Foodbank have actively worked with Lambeth Larder for years now and greatly appreciate the work that has gone into this project." Norwood & Brixton Foodbank
- "Such a real project that genuinely cares. Lambeth Larder should continue. It is needed in Lambeth. It make a genuine impact on the lives of many who need that extra support." Rastafari Movement UK Wellbeing & Food
- "As well as providing information, Lambeth Larder also has the potential to connect organisations so they are more able to respond to people’s needs. The ability to provide up to date information in light of the corona crisis has the potential to save lives." Myatt's Fields Park Project
- “Just last week I was able to point someone to the Lambeth Larder website who came to us needing food. Thanks so much for all your hard work! It will make a difference!” St Paul's with St Saviour's Church, Brixton
WHAT'S NEXT FOR LAMBETH LARDER?
Over the next year, we aim to reach at least 15,000 people in financial crisis in Lambeth. We need your donations and support to do this essential work.
- We are producing a new mobile-friendly website that will make it easier for people to find what they need. We want to increase traffice to our website by 30%.
- We will publish and distribute 20,000 free, paper directories for people who are not online.
- We want to increase our volunteers, so that we can support more local people.
We need your help to continue empowering local people in financial crisis. And to build our work providing free, up-to-date, information.
Help us raise £10k towards our crucial work. We want our community to feel better-connected and supported in the difficult months ahead. With your help, we can do this. Thank you!
Virginia & Lambeth Larder Team
NEW REWARD ADDED:
Every donation of £20 and over will receive a lovely Lambeth Larder cotton tote bag! Look stylish and support our Campaign! Thanks so much for your support!