The Black Mum Support Fund provides essential support to women through counselling, doulas and events to reduce isolation and anxiety to promote and healthy mental health and positive well-being.
The life of an expectant mother is one of many emotions: joy, excitement and anticipation are just to name a few. But why is death in pregnancy the biggest fear amongst Black women?
- Black women are more than 3.7 x (previously 5) more likely to die in childbirth compared to their white women.
- Black women suffer with postnatal depression is 13 x higher than any other race.
- Black women are at a 43% higher risk of miscarriage than white women.
The current statistics indicate that the current health-care system is failing black women who are dying in pregnancy or enduring mental health issues. Our vital work is committed to protect the lives of black women and their babies.
Founded in 2017, The Motherhood Group is the UK’s first black-led social enterprise, with a commitment to improving the black maternal experience through bridging the gap between community, service providers and industries.
With your support you can help us eliminate the fear of death for black mothers through listening, training, support and empowering.
Aims of The Black Mum Support Fund
- Doula's assistance during the birthing experience.
- Counselling, psychotherapy and perinatal mental health supports following from their birth.
- Facilitate peer group sessions and events to reduce isolation, alleviate symptoms of PND and to secure meaningful relationships and friendships.
- Deliver training sessions to bridge the gap between healthcare services and the community of black mothers to give services the confidence to identify the specific needs of black women so they no longer ‘fall through the net’.
- Deliver training sessions to black mothers equipping them with essential tools to thrive and build their confidence to know the signs of postnatal depression in themselves, their peers and to know the steps to receive adequate support.
- Coordinate Black Maternal Mental Health Week and the Black Maternal Health Conference, to raise awareness and to partner with organisations to support black mothers.
Make your donation today to The Black Mum Support Fund so that we can continue our vital work to support black mothers in the most need.
Whatever the size of your donation, we are grateful as the collective support from our donor community can make a huge difference to the lives of women who reach out to us desperate for help.
You can protect the lives of women and their babies by making a donation to The Black Mum Support Fund.
Are you interested to know more about our vital working listening, supporting and empowering black women? Sign up and join the 8,000 subscribers to our monthly newsletter.