What we will do and why?
2020 is an exciting year for the city of Plymouth as it commemorates the 400th anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower.
Argyle Community Trust, the official charitable arm of Plymouth Argyle Football Club, was delighted to be chosen by Plymouth City Council to co-ordinate and stimulate a programme of sport, health and well-being for the city. The programme closely aligns with the Trust’s clear vision: developing an active, inspirational and inclusive community, supporting people of all ages to achieve their full potential.
Our Mayflower 400: Get Active campaign seeks to ensure that the communities of Plymouth are provided with a wide range of opportunities to engage in sport and well-being. This will be achieved through one-off promotional events, free taster sessions and community engagement programmes for people of all abilities, ages and cultural background.
To accomplish our aims, providing an inclusive and inspiring programme with a sustainable benefit we have en-devoured to ensure that the vast majority of programme activities are free of charge - hence the requirement for this Crowdfunder appeal.
Some of the highlight events on our calendar include:
- Get Active – each month of 2020 is headlined by a sport or activity theme. Encouraging local clubs and organisations to provide incentives and opportunities that engage the community.
- Get Active Piazza Events – 9 free promotional come-and-try sports and activity events in Plymouth's City Centre.
- Sporting Voyage – engaging 5,000 primary school children in educational sessions that tell the story of the sailing of the Mayflower combined with opportunities to participate in American sports, history and religious studies.
- Rehabilitation Triathlon – an international triathlon event engaging current and former service men and women who have been wounded or injured. We will also host a schools Special Educational Needs and Disabilities rowing competition and free spectator activities on Plymouth's Hoe Front.
- Sailors of Tomorrow – 1,000 young people to take part in free dinghy sailing sessions, providing many with a first ever sea experience, igniting a passion for sailing and an ongoing legacy for sailing in the city.
- Mayflower 400 Takeover Events – 2,020 young people provided with tickets for a Plymouth Argyle fixture. An additional 400 tickets for a Plymouth Albion match as well as tickets for a Plymouth Raiders home game.
- Mayflower 400 Special Olympic Commemorative Games – over 450 athletes with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities from across the UK and Holland (the largest ever disability event to be hosted in the South West).
- Community Games – large scale family-friendly events, delivered in the heart of Plymouth's green spaces throughout the Summer of 2020.
- Mayflower 400 Big Toddle – in partnership with Barnardo’s, a community fundraiser event which supports the sustainability of local pre-schools and nurseries.
- Mayflower 400 Football Celebration – a large scale football event which celebrates and highlights the positive cultural diversity football provides within the city of Plymouth.
- Mayflower Awards Ceremony – celebrating inspiring stories as a result of the Get Active campaign as well as the volunteers who have supported the programme.
Your Support is Changing Lives
"One of the reasons I chose to be a part of the Mayflower 400 Volunteering Team is because I have a passion for working with and for my local community. It is great to be a part of something where we have the opportunity to make our voices heard and make a difference" - Kieran Till – 18 year old volunteer
"I never thought fitness could be so much fun" – Sally – Participant
“Making our dreams come true” – Participant representing Plymouth at the upcoming Mayflower 400 Special Olympic Commemorative Games
"Mayflower 400 has inspired me and my friends to raise money for the Alzheimer Society" – Mick - Participant
"The Mayflower 400 Voyage is an integral part of Plymouth's history. The Sporting Voyage workshops themselves linked perfectly with our geography curriculum whilst adding impact to engineering of Plymouth, past and present. The children were engaged and thoroughly enjoyed the impact of the PE lessons." - Holy Cross Primary School
Your support is greatly appreciated.
#M400Sport | #GetOnBoard2020