1. No one wants to address the elephant in the room: that postnatal depression or anxiety in black mothers is 13% HIGHER than any other race. No one wants to address this mammal that despite this higher percentage, black mothers are statistically less likely to receive diagnosis or treatment for maternal mental health issues.
2. In response to the analysis of maternal deaths, stillbirths and neonatal deaths, undertaken by MBRRACE-UK. Black women are five times more likely to die from causes related to pregnancy than white women. Black babies have a 121% increased risk for stillbirth and a 50% increased risk for neonatal death (i.e. dying within 28 days after birth) compared to white babies.
Black women are suffering with mental health challenges and are also dying, and we need the support to stop this from happening now.
Aim of Black Mum Support Fund:
- We will connect 100 black mothers with doula's to support them during their birthing experience.
- We will connect 100 black mothers with psychotherapists, counsellors and perinatal mental health practitioners following from their birth.
- We will continue to connect black mothers with each other to reduce isolation, alleviate symptoms of PND and to form meaning relationships and friendships through:
- Virtual Meet Ups via Zoom, every Wednesday 8:30pm - 9:30pm for one year.
- Our social media channels via IG discussions .
- Physical events and workshops to equip black mothers