Does this scene look all too familiar?
The truth is that 80% of kids and 95% of teens are not eating enough veg!
We know a good diet in childhood can protect our kids from ill health in later life. A healthy diet with enough vegetables can also can help their physical and academic development, giving them a happier and healthier childhood.
The problem is that our kids are surrounded by unhealthy food via a constant stream of advertising. In fact, 86% of parents say that their kids pester them for junk food and even more say they are worried about their children’s diet.
Our team are here to help
The Food Foundation has pulled together an amazing team of dedicated parents:
- Anna Taylor was awarded an OBE for her work tackling malnutrition
- Dan Parker has spent 20 years working in the marketing of the most popular food brands
- Jo Ralling spent 10 years making TV shows for Jamie Oliver
Supporting us is an incredible cast of experts and advisors lead by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Jamie Oliver, Dr Rangan Chatterjee and advertising legend Sir John Hegarty.
We have pulled together the best minds in children’s health, nutrition and food education plus we have a few more celebrities to announce; some might surprise you. They are all giving their time for free for this national crisis.
We've achieved so much already
With no budget and just a team of volunteers:
- We ran a competition to create a poster advert for veg
- Then we secured over 5,000 sites for our posters, including projections, graffiti walls and at Coop's check-out across the land, thank you Coop ;)
- It also went pretty crazy on social media with celebrities, politicians and school children all joining the fun!
Why we need your help
We need your financial support to take this to the next level. As you can see we have exciting early backing from business and celebrities. Over the next 12 months we need to cover modest salaries, expenses and materials so we can:
- Deliver a few more exciting campaigns to prove we can inspire kids to love veg
- Channel this great pool of expert knowledge to empower parents
- Use the success of that work to make the case to our contacts in government, supermarkets and the farming community to provide the funds we need to send Veg Power into every home.
For our next project, we are producing a truly epic book of Veg Power. The book will contain fun kids' activities, veg facts, tips and kid friendly veg-centered recipes ranging from snacks and sides to breakfasts and even desserts, from over 50 expert contributors.
Our thanks to you
We’ll be giving first-print exclusive copies of this book to those who donate £25 or more. Plus, we have been given a wide range of cookbooks, culinary and gastronomic experiences to give out as rewards. You can even claim one of only six spaces in our book to share your favourite recipe - as long as it contains masses of tasty veg.
So please share and donate what you can and help us to power up our kids with veg power.
>>>>>>>> UPDATE 11 May >>>>>>>>>>
A massive thank you to everybody who has donated . Thank you also to all the lovely people who have given rewards for the crowdfund, content for the book, massive shouts on social media and their time and energy to make this possible. Check out our wall of supporters.
>>>>>>>> UPDATE 17 May >>>>>>>>>>
Hugh, Jamie and other health campaigners have written to Jeremy Hunt asking that the government to fund the advertising and marketing of vegetables . Thousands of others have signed the letter too, please add your voice, sign Hugh's letter here: