Since opening in 1989 Riverhouse has built a reputation as a high-quality arts centre with community at the heart of everything we do.
We provide a year-round programme of events which includes drama, music, traditional and modern jazz, children’s shows, cabaret and art exhibitions. We also offer classes in arts and crafts for all ages, adults, young people and toddlers. We have a small but welcoming community café that promotes health, wellbeing and sustainability.
Covid 19 has prevented us from opening our doors to our wonderfully supportive community and we are now having to rethink how we engage with our audiences. As we have such a small capacity indoors, the only way we will be able to survive is to take our programme outdoors.
We have a large car park which we can transform into an outside performance space and which will enable us to make our programme financially viable and offer much needed entertainment, social interaction and solidarity.
We want to increase our outdoor programme to cope with social distancing regulations and ensure that our community is safe.
To do this, we need to raise £14,000 for a proper outdoor stage, so that our equipment and performers remain covered and dry if the weather turns.
This will also enable us to offer the stage to other community groups to use, so that they, too, can continue to create and perform.
We are planning a summer arts festival, including many local choirs, an International festival of food and arts, a folk festival, jazz festival, comedy nights and theatre for all ages.
We are thrilled to be receiving so much support from artists who have performed at the Barn, including Tony Hawks, Lukas Drinkwater, Peter Knight, Ninebarrow, Chesney Hawkes, Melissa James and Milton Jones!
Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre is a community arts centre, part run by volunteers and a small management team. We bucked the trend by keeping going throughout the pandemic, with online play readings, classes, concerts of all sorts and theatre. Covid-19 has hit our artists hard, but with your help we can keep them in business and our community entertained and stimulated whatever the world throws at us!
- Promote activities that engage and stimulate a wide cross section of the community.
- Offer a kind and supporting environment for social and creative activity.
- Offer and deliver a wide range of art, craft and performance classes to children and adults at an affordable rate – without compromising professionalism and quality of teaching.
- Use practitioners of the highest standards to run our classes.
- Make all our classes accessible and enjoyable.
- Challenge our audiences and encourage an open-minded curiosity.
- Support and nurture local artists from all disciplines, encouraging collaborations which benefit our community and stimulate innovative projects.