The church clock stopped working in 2012, having chimed on the hour throughout the previous century. It is hoped that we can restore this historic clock to its former glory and continue to be an important part of the village.
The clock mechanism in the tower carries a makers’ mark of Samuel Smith & Sons of Walton-on-Trent & Barton-under-Needwood and the date 1822. Little is known about Smiths as church clock makers and it is possible that the clock mechanism, which appears to be French in origin and is about a metre across, was bought in and Smith’s plate added.
There are three bells in the tower, one of which is used by the clock to chime. The repair of the bells themselves is a long-term project. The state of the frame and headstocks make ringing them highly dangerous as they are too heavy.
It is hoped that the clock project can be completed for the 700th anniversary of the church, which occurs next year.