Sustainable Tiverton believes that love and compassion for our community and the natural environment can lead us to address the impact of climate change together. We want a future in which:
- everyone has a chance to live well, healthily, and with sustainable livelihoods,
- we make connections with each other,
- we value the contributions of others and reflect and learn from what we do,
- and we imagine and develop positive possibilities to create together the future we want to inhabit.
In response to the worsening climate and ecological emergency, people across the world need to create a low carbon, sustainable future for themselves and their children and grandchildren. ST supports citizen action to address climate change and biodiversity loss. Our projects including ReROOTed, Community Fridge, Tiverton Tree Team, Give or Take Reuse shops, and Plastic Free Tiverton both benefit the community and could play a significant part in delivering the Devon Carbon Plan. The problem is- we don’t have a home!
A physical and visual presence right in the centre of Tiverton would not only provide our current projects with a base to work from, but also be a place for everyone to share ideas, learn new skills and get involved. It would support people in the community to take action, enable volunteer-led projects to get started, and provide a base for agencies and businesses promoting sustainability and resilience.
Sustainable Tiverton, a Community Interest Company (CIC), evolved from a grassroots base in 2008. It is led entirely by local people, and supports the wider community to create projects of their own. It is an entirely voluntary Community Association, led by a Steering Group made up of volunteer project leaders.
We are a member of the Transition Network, and Community Action Groups Devon (CAG) and our projects include the ReROOTed surplus food project and community fridge, the Tiverton Tree Team, the Give or Take reuse pop-up shops, Plastic Free Tiverton and the Tiverton Repair café. We work with a growing number of partners including the Town Council, Mid Devon District Council (MDDC), and Tiverton’s Community Builders.
We are close to opening a Sustainability Hub in the centre of town with the support of MDDC. Through our strong community network, our established project work, and the learning and continuous creative dialogue over many years, we are ready to bring the Hub to life in Tiverton.
We believe that a Sustainability Hub could provide significant benefits for the community, and support MDDC and Tiverton Town Council in achieving their net zero goals:
- Located right in the heart of town, it will be an accessible place to learn about the reality of climate change (for example, through displays, films, talks and discussion) and the range of ways in which we all can play our part.
- The Hub could provide start-up low cost premises for businesses supporting the transition to a low carbon future, for example providing upcycled/repurposed products at affordable prices and opportunities to learn new skills.
- A space for new, volunteer-led projects to get started, eg. a Library of Things, which would enable people to borrow household tools and equipment rather than buy items that they may only use once or twice a year.
- The Hub would support and enable the further development of existing projects through providing secure storage for equipment, and space for more regular Repair Café sessions, Give and Take events,
- The Hub could be a space for local partners to share resources and ideas, for example we are talking with a local health provider about sharing a space and working together to promote wellbeing through social prescribing and opportunities to volunteer.
There are economic benefits as well- the Hub would be an opportunity to reconsider, post COVID, the place of the Town Centre in the economic and social ecology of Tiverton. It will keep a property in use, encourage others to come forward with creative proposals for other sites, increase footfall for those retail businesses, and help to retain the rental value of other vacant premises.
Over time, it is to be expected that the increasing urgency of the measures needed to combat the climate crisis will exert strong pressure on all businesses. Working in partnership with MDDC, Tiverton Town Council and other agencies, the Sustainability Hub could play an important part in helping local businesses adapt to a low carbon future and thrive in this new environment.
The money raised will allow us to move forward with premises in Tiverton town centre in partnership with MDDC.
It will fund fixtures and fittings needed to set up the space as well as the initial running costs.
This is the first step. When this has been achieved, we can begin to make it comfortable and welcome you into the new space!
Donations can only be made between the 7th/8th July so circle those dates on your calendar- set an alarm to go off on that date- click on our facebook event for social media updates.
Make a pledge to donate £30, or an amount that you can afford- we appreciate all donations. Email [email protected] and include a phone number and consent for us to contact you on the 8th of July.
Spread the word- ask a friend (or two!) to make a donation. Share the link to our page, circle their calendar for them!
We will win match funding from the Devon County Council/Crowdfunder partnership if we reach our target of £2000 from 30 or more people- you can help make this happen!
Can you organize a bake sale and donate the proceeds? How about that marathon you’ve been building up to? Or your very own carbon-cutting challenge?
Donate a reward to encourage other donors if you are a business- contact us if you can help.
Thank you so much for your support. We can’t wait to see you in the Hub soon!!!
The S.T. team