WE WOULD LOVE YOUR HELP TO RESTORE OUR CHURCH BUILDING
Our progress so far
St Barnabas' Dalston is a Church of England congregation, established in 2010. We have as our base two remarkable early 20th century buildings: a mission hall and a Grade ii* listed church building. Prior to our arrival, the buildings had stood largely empty for thirty years, and were both in desperate need of major renovation.
In 2013, we raised over £150,000 from church members, supporters and grant-making bodies to renovate our mission hall, enabling it to become the local asset it now is. It is rented by a wide range of local arts and community groups and used extensively for church activities, including youth and children's groups, as well as hosting the Hackney Winter Night Shelter.
As anyone who has visited us knows, the main church building is a stunning example of 20th century architecture, with extraordinary acoustics. Unfortunately, it is also damp, low on light and uncomfortably cold, meaning it is largely unusable for most of the year.
- Enable our worshipping community to use this awe-inspiring space throughout the year.
- Preserve the cultural and architectural heritage of the building
- Serve our local community by making it a building accessible for all to use
There is much to do, from installing a safe floor to repairing the roof and everything in between. We will need to replace the window frames, wiring and heating, install toilets, and improve the lighting and brickwork.
Initial estimates for this work are in the region of £350,000. In order to seek funding for the project from grant-making trusts, we need to appoint an architect and undertake a project funding proposal. This will involve surveys of the building's condition and guidance on fundraising strategies. This first phase of work will cost £20,000. So, that is our first fundraising milestone.
Can you help?
- Give. If you are able to give money, we very much appreciate any contribution.
- Pray. If you are someone who prays, please pray that we will be able to raise the money required to put the building to good use again
- Volunteer. Let us know if you are able to offer any time to help with fundraising events. Email [email protected]
- Receive updates. If you would like regular updates, please let us know by emailing [email protected]