Zonal Reflexology for Patients & Staff at The Royal Brompton Hospital
The Corona Virus pandemic has severely impacted our fundraising activities and our complimentary presence on the wards. We need your help to be able to maintain and extend, hopefully, Sarah's continued presence on the wards at The Brompton.
Our project aims to support:
- Chronically ill patients and their visiting family, friends and relatives
- Our fabulous NHS staff (doctors, nurses, OTs, physios, cleaners, porters, etc.)
- Hospital School ward-based teaching staff (teachers, TAs, admin staff)
Our project aims to provide:
- Weekly Zonal Therapy sessions of 30-60 minutes for chronically ill patients (6-8 patients daily)
- Ad hoc 10 – 15-minute Zonal Therapy drop-in sessions NHS staff and a monthly Covid-19 recovery 'pampering' session with a choice of treatments (e.g. Reiki, head & shoulder massage, facial rejuvenating massage, foot, hand, ear, and facial reflexology)
- Regular ward-based face-to-face sessions (Covid self-distancing guidelines permitting) to patients and staff to improve mental and physical health, whilst also providing practical ideas and advice on such issues.
- Access to ward-based arts and crafts leisure activities
- Access to Sarah's online self-help videos - e.g.
Sarah qualified in 1998 from the Central London College of Reflexology and is registered with the Complementary Natural Health Council (CNHC). She is a Fellow Member of the Association of Reflexologists (FMAR) and is also a Member of the Institute for Learning (MIFL).
Sarah trained in Advanced Reflexology techniques and has Post Graduate Certificates in Advanced Spinal Reflexology, Advanced Hand Reflexology, Pre-Conception Pregnancy, and Postnatal Care, Head and Shoulder Massage, Natural Lift Facial Massage, Auricular Therapy, Thai Foot Massage and Reiki (Levels 1 & 2).
Sarah also holds a Level 4 Teaching Certificate (Sarah Hurley - FMAR, MIFL, CNHC).
Why Zonal Reflexology?
- It provides respite from medical procedures. Patients can have one-to-one attention, relaxation, and supportive touch. The therapist is empathic and provides non-judgemental listening.
- It promotes deep relaxation, which is very beneficial in reducing stress levels, pain, anxiety, and depression. This can bring about an improved sense of wellbeing for all.
- It reduces the high-stress levels often associated with long-term health conditions and challenging, working hours. This can bring many benefits to both patients, carers, and NHS staff.
The therapeutic relationship between practitioner and patient promotes better health and well-being. This helps support the lifestyle changes needed to encourage better health.
Click for more info about Reflexology from the Association of Reflexologists.
"As a cystic fibrosis patient at Brompton Hospital since approximately 17 years old, and as a regular in-patient prior to my double lung transplant in 2018, I valued Sarah’s care immeasurably and considered it a key component in managing my symptoms, pain, stress, and anxieties when in as an inpatient ......and even more so while the late stages of my lung disease preparing for transplant. Sarah’s treatments have helped me to heal both physically, mentally, and emotionally as I navigated the challenges that cystic fibrosis pre-transplant presented. I would unreservedly recommend the immense benefits that Sarah’s treatments offer for all in-patients at all stages of their health challenges." (DB)
"As a patient on Foulis ward, I had Sarah as my reflexologist on numerous occasions. Sarah was a fun-loving lady and made me feel relaxed and was very good for my mental and physical well-being. This will still be lovely for the other patients." (KR)
"I was a frequent patient at The Brompton Hospital for intravenous antibiotics. The admissions were often long and the time in hospital could feel relentless. Reflexology sessions with Sarah were such a positive experience during a bleak time. It was an opportunity to truly relax and experience escapism from the harshness of the treatment I was enduring. Sarah’s warmth and conversation were so lovely during an often-isolated time as an inpatient. It was something I looked forward to. ..... I cannot speak highly enough of the impact of Sarah’s treatments." (ER)
"My lovely reflexology lady Sarah who visits most of the patients on the ward popped her head in around 1ish and I’ve never been so happy to see someone! She makes u feel amazing! She's a little touch of heaven!! (G)
"I am writing to attest to the massive benefits of the reflexology and also the emotional support given... No matter if I were in pain, in a state of stress, anxiety or exhaustion, between Sarah’s fantastic reflexology and essentially meditative practices she was always able to help me in whatever frame of mind, or physical state that she found me in. I always massively looked forward to her reflexology. I found it extremely relaxing and found her to be very easy to talk to which was brilliant when in hospital for long periods and not having someone who could always lend an ear to my particular stresses as a patient. Sarah is extremely kind, compassionate, hardworking, thoughtful, trustworthy and someone who would always go above and beyond to help out. She was an absolute star and I do not know how I would have got through some of my very tough times on Fowlis ward without her reflexology and support." (GE)
"I think the service you have given to patients is invaluable. It was well-received by patients and staff because it supported to reduce patient's anxiety and helped with symptom management and patient's breathlessness improved. Patients had felt that this service was over and above their journey in hospital..….. after the pandemic this service will provide a holistic approach to care which is needed especially in these times. Thank you so much for your care and service. It means so much to patients and to us all. Hope to see you in the future." (TF – Ward Sister)
"Sarah has been a valued colleague over recent years, bringing her reflexology expertise to patients when they need it most. Always in demand, Sarah’s holistic approach gave patients moments in their day when they could truly relax and de-stress. The majority of inpatients with cystic fibrosis know Sarah well. Sarah is a professional with a personal touch that patients and staff have truly missed since last March. We hope to see Sarah soon, .... Thank you." (SO - Ward Sister)
Patients and staff all attest to the benefits of Sarah's work and the associated health and mental health improvements.
Your generosity and support will help provide:
- an energizing 10 -15 minute back, neck & shoulder, massage (please donate £10)
- a 20-25 minute back, neck, shoulder & head massage, tailored to relieve muscle tension (please donate £20)
- 30 minutes of facial reflexology with a focus on health and beauty (please donate £30)
- 2 x 40 minute-deep relaxation reflexology sessions providing a real sense of well-being (please donate £50)
- 3 x 60-minute reflexology sessions of deep relaxation, emotional & physical support, coping and self-help techniques (please donate £100)
- NHS staff with a fabulous, very well deserved and much needed, luxurious 'pampering day' and treatment of their choice (please donate £200 +)
Please donate whatever you can afford. A regular monthly donation is most helpful but one-off donations, large or small, are also very welcome.
Thank you so much for helping to ensure patients and staff can continue to benefit from Sarah's fabulous technique and miraculous soothing hands :-)