Thank you for visiting our page.
We have launched this crowdfunding campaign to raise urgently-needed funds to keep our family support project running. Many local families rely on us for advice, guidance, help and support, and all donations will go directly to this work. We need £20,000 to ensure we are able to keep supporting families in need – and the young people they look after.
Find out more about us and our Family Support work below...
ABOUT HACKNEY QUEST
Hackney Quest is an independent charity which has been supporting local young people, families and the community since 1988. Now in our 30th year, we work with over 250 young people and their families, ensuring that they have the opportunities, experiences and support that they need to fulfil their potential. We have Gold accreditation from London Youth, and have won a number of awards for our work with local young people and families.
ABOUT OUR FAMILY SUPPORT PROJECT
Developing strong, supportive relationships with families is central to the success of our work with young people. The families we work with are often facing complex difficulties, and we help them through whichever challenges they may be facing. We listen, we don’t judge and we provide support and advice. Our only agenda is to help them and to help their child/ren. We are very often the first people they turn to when they are struggling, or facing a crisis. We have an open door for those who need us.
Some people come to us because they need help supporting their child at school, or at home. Some people need help with benefits or housing. Some want to develop their confidence or skills. Whatever help they may need, we're here for them. We have supported hundreds of local families.
We call this family support. At Hackney Quest, #wearefamily
HEAR FROM PEOPLE INVOLVED WITH THE PROJECT
For many local families, we are the trusted organisation and the trusted people they know will be there to support them whatever their problem may be, for as long as they need our help.
ESTHER - "Hackney Quest supports me mentally and physically. Triple P helped me to work with my children, looking at what worked well and what didn’t work well, and what we could do to change it. This has made my life easier, because the kids wanted to do more so now I am doing less, which really helped. As a parent everyone in Hackney Quest supports me, every single staff member. If I am distressed I come here and cry. I get support with my children in school. If I need support with my children in secondary, if my children are giving trouble in school they help to make sure their placement is secure."
SALLY - "Hackney Quest Family Support helps local people benefit from support, which we offer in any way we can. It is run by a group of dedicated volunteers, some being young people who plan to work in the Care sector, gaining valuable first-hand experience, and others recently retired who bring career experience. I have now been volunteering for 6 years, mainly providing counselling for mothers who are having difficulty coping; I previously followed a 32 year career in a large Further Education College. Other support we give is practical, for example helping second language speakers to fill out forms or make phone calls relating to Housing or Benefits. We don’t turn anyone away, though signpost when necessary. The least we do is lend a friendly listening ear and offer a cup of tea and biscuits. The volunteering is very rewarding, not least because it is run by cheerful and competent managers, by whom we feel appreciated."
SEETA - "I like volunteering for the community lunch, because hungry people come and I am feeling good and comfortable."
LISA - "I like coming because I made good friends and I like helping with the parties and community projects. I like making tea for people and talking to a lot of people. My confidence has really improved in coming out and making friends."
FAMILY SUPPORT PROJECT ACTIVITIES
Our family support work includes a range of activities and projects for local people, such as:
- Confidential listening
- Signposting, advice & guidance
- Parenting support, including accredited group programmes such as Triple P
- Securing emergency grants to buy household goods for families
- Free weekly community meal
- Support with issues such as benefits & housing
- Monthly men's breakfast & discussion group
- Education support: working with young people and their parents when they have academic and/or behavioural difficulties at school (accompanying parents to school meetings; mentoring the young person; liaising with school staff; bringing together services working with the young person; working with the young person and parent(s) on action plans)
- Support with English speaking skills
- Cookery and nutrition classes
- Community volunteering: providing volunteering opportunities for local people to help develop their confidence and skills, and support community cohesion
- Regular support discussions with parents whose children are being mentored
- Community parties: we hold half-termly community events to bring together local people from all different ages and backgrounds, strengthening community ties and encouraging peer support
Through these and many other activities, we are there for local families when they need support to face life's challenges. We are hoping this fundraising will save our Family Support programme, if we don't manage to raise enough we will use the funds raised to support other elements of our work with families and our other Hackney Quest programmes.