I have been volunteer director at Redwing Gallery's Arts and Community Hub in Penzance since 2011 and regularly see so many creative people in housing need.
I set up this Crowdfunder to start Redwing Housing Cooperative off in its mission to address the particular housing needs of creative people in Cornwall.
The aim of the cooperative will be to provide affordable rented live-work-relax studio accommodation for artists, writers and musicians where the tenants work together to control the future of their own housing.
Fully mutual co-operative-owned housing is a vital tool for creating a fairer society, where housing is a social good rather than a profit-making venture.
Affordable housing is below the average for the country.
• One fifth (23%) of people are income deprived;
• One in ten people live in overcrowded houses (compared to 5.0% in the SW)
• Almost one third (29%) of housing lacks central heating;
• Over one third (37%) of households have no access to a car or van
• One sixth (17%) of people have a limiting long-term illness (compared to 11% in the SW)
What will we do?
This all-important seed corn funding will move the project through...
- initial registration and incorporation of the Housing Cooperative
- group training in consensus decision making,
- group training in meeting facilitation
- group training in conflict resolution.
- visits to potential properties,
- writing a business plan,
- drawing up a lease,
- issuing of loanstock
- issuing share certificates for members
- arranging a deposit
- and a cooperative mortgage
- moving in to a first property.
Redwing Housing Cooperative;
- will be a Fully Mutual Housing Cooperative.
- Fully mutual housing co-ops are those where all members are tenants, and vice versa, where all investments made by members are non-transferable and non-withdrawable, meaning that all assets are in common ownership and individuals are not simply using the co-op as a form of personal investment. Redwing Housing Cooperative property will remain in common ownership from generation to generation.
- The cooperative will create affordable private accommodation with shared communal space for creative people. Utility costs will be shared and affordable. Sharing fosters a sense of community and co-operation that supports personal autonomy while saving money and carbon footprints.
- Plant-based meals, work and leisure activities will be shared, encouraging tenants to feel less isolated, part of a healthy community and lowering carbon emissions.
- Shared equipment and transport will reduce costs and tenants' ecological footprints.
Support us to set up cooperative housing for creative people in West Cornwall and choose from these great rewards:
£2 or more
A warm glow.
Thank you! Enjoy the warm glow from knowing you are helping set up a new housing cooperative.
£4 or more
A pot of tea and a slice of cake
Enjoy a pot of tea served with a vintage cup and saucer and a home made cake at Redwing Gallery in Penzance.
£15 or more
Enjoy a plant-based meal and conversation in good company at Redwing Cafe in Penzance.
£15 or more
A two-hour Latin-American music session with percussionist Peter Fox of the bands Quijada and Rumba Diablo and founder of Penzance’s original samba band Apito Samba ( Penzamba). Come and play congas, including vintage Gonbops, bongos, Colombian tambora, marimba, clave fundamentals. Something for all levels of experience.
£25 or more
A one week artist's residency in a studio at Redwing Gallery in Penzance, Cornwall.
£50 or more
A personal portrait sitting with Cornish artist Jane Sand during which Jane will create a unique family heirloom painting on canvas for you to keep.
Portrait of Sandra, by Jane Sand
£60 or more
VIP Film Screening
A private VIP film screening for you and up to 30 guests in Penzance with complimentary refreshments.
£120 or more
A two week exhibition slot in the Redwing Gallery, Penzance, Cornwall.
£400 or more
The Art Collector
Choose one from a selection of original signed paintings by artist Peter Fox.
Shamans Drum series. Peter Fox
Redwings (Two Birds) series. Peter Fox
Fenrir series. Peter Fox
£1000 or more
Three Month Artists' Residency in the upper gallery at Redwing in Penzance, Cornwall.