We’re going to create a ‘not-for-profit’ family-friendly, waterfront community arts hub & space in the heart of Ramsgate’s Royal Harbour. The 130-year old, 51-metre, Dutch barge Vriendschap (Dutch for Friendship) will be renovated & converted to create the 'Ramsgate Arts Barge'.
The key social aim of the Ramsgate Arts Barge is to provide FREE art classes, courses, workshops & programmes for children living within the Thanet District (which ranks as the most deprived local authority in Kent).
Head of Ramsgate Arts Primary School, Nick Budge, “This is a fabulously creative project that is set in our town’s internationally-famous harbour, and RAPS is keen to support any idea that expands the creative arts in our community. Our long term vision is to form a learning partnership with the Arts Barge and become an integral part of the proposed educational programme.”
The Ramsgate Arts Barge - External Concept (del Renzio & del Renzio):
The Ramsgate Arts Barge will become the town’s largest multi-faceted arts, events & performance space, hosting a diverse range of arts events including: visual art exhibitions, art installations, comedy, acoustic music, cabaret, theatre, film screenings, spoken word, poetry, in addition to community events, debates, talks & seasonal markets. Adult art classes, courses & workshops will also be available throughout the year.
The Ramsgate Arts Barge - Internal/External Concept (del Renzio & del Renzio):
The Ramsgate Arts Barge is a social enterprise, 100% owned and operated by Ramsgate Arts Barge Community Interest Company.
The key aims and objectives of the Ramsgate Arts Barge are to:
- Reinvest company profits to achieve the social aim of providing FREE art classes, courses, workshops & programmes for children living within the Thanet District
- Create a year-round visitor attraction, bringing much needed tourism & footfall into the area throughout the year to stimulate and boost the local economy
- Create NEW jobs & community volunteer opportunities throughout the project
- Provide complimentary studio hire to schools, colleges, charities & not-for-profit organisations operating within Thanet
- Support, champion & promote local artists via art exhibitions & events
- Provide opportunity for studio hire for local artists for both short & long term artistic projects
- Attract internationally established artists, putting Ramsgate on the map as a ‘must-visit’ destination for the arts.
The Ramsgate Arts Barge - Internal Light Concept (del Renzio & del Renzio):
Mayor of Ramsgate, Raushan Ara, "This is a very exciting new venture for our community, which can be accessed all year round and another great addition to our harbour”
The permanent mooring location alongside Harbour Parade in Ramsgate’s Royal Harbour has been approved by Thanet District Council, now we need YOUR help to bring this project to life!
The power of arts in a community should not be under-estimated for it's social & economical benefits. Arts have the power to improve well-being & mental health through inclusive activities and events that will unite, strengthen & create togetherness throughout the Ramsgate & Thanet community.
To complete the 1st phase of the project, we are aiming to raise £97,000 to go directly towards:
- Hull Survey Costs & Hull Surveyor Fee - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED!
- RIBA Chartered Feasibility Study - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED!
- Essential Hull Steel Repair Works
- Ongoing Project Overheads (Mooring Fees & Marine/Public Liability Insurance)
- Protective & Safety equipment for project volunteers
With the incredible community support received so far, we have completed vital first steps in the project.
With YOUR support we can make the Ramsgate Arts Barge come to life, to the benefit of the Ramsgate & Thanet community.
Please donate what you can knowing you will be directly contributing towards a project that will provide FREE art classes, courses, workshops & programmes for children living within one of the most deprived local authorities in the South East.
Ramsgate Arts Barge CIC