Eat, Drink, Relax and Connect
Priory Park is a beautiful area within Bodmin, Cornwall and the rental of Narisa Hall has spurred our family into creating a Community Cafe that will be the hub of the local community - for parents, their children, grandparents and businesses.
The building will still be owned by Bodmin Town Council and we will be starting a Community Interest Company - meaning that any profit the business makes, go directly back into the venue, whether that's new facilities, maintenance, events or new products.
To make this a reality, we need your help
Here's what we want to do;
- Coffee Shop - providing teas, coffees, lights lunches (baguettes, jacket potatoes, toasted sandwiches etc.) and cakes
- A small soft play area within the cafe area for under 3's to play safely whilst parents have lunch/coffee
- A small alcohol licence - with food (a limited selection, not primary use)
- Youth Club - once or twice a week between 6pm and 9pm
(ages 11 - 16)
- Business Networking Events
- OAP Cream Teas
- Single Parenting Groups
- Dating Evenings
- Charity/Fund Raising Events
- Supporting Local Artists with an in-cafe Gallery
- Big Lunch in association with the Eden Project
- Possible Contact Centre for Supervised Visits
- Calendar of Themed Events across the year for example: Halloween for younger children (ages 3 - 10)
- Book Swaps/Mobile Library
Additional Community Benefits
Room Hire for:
- Children's Parties
- Wedding Receptions
- Exercise Classes
- Adult Education
- Business Meetings/Conferences
On Demand Creche/Forest School
We may also offer an "on demand" creche and/or Forest School - where parents would be able to book hourly sessions of childcare.
This would be run by Pete, on site, who is fully qualified and insured.
Putting back into the Local Community
- All of our furnishings will come from local charity shops/second hand stores
- All of our produce will come from locally sourced suppliers
- All of our equipment will be purchased or hired from local businesses
- Any food and soft drinks out of sell by date will be given to the homeless/local food banks
- We will provide "Soup Kitchens" once a week with a free hot drink and a decent meal for the local homeless people
PRIORYS - COMMUNITY CAFE Q&A
Why such a short deadline?
Time wise, crowdfunder help says that most successful timeframes are 4-6 weeks, so I went for that. Plus, other people are looking at the property so I may miss out. If I had the money I would just do it.
£55k is a lot of money - where will it all go?
It's for the first year of business: building work inside, interior design, complete kitchen equipment, tables, chairs, crockery, rent, business rates, stock, marketing, services bills, wages for a year etc. It all ads up. We will be sourcing everything locally.
Why don't you do a fun day?
I've applied to the council for use of priory Park for a fun day - I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm also trying to go to Royal Cornwall.
Will I lose my money?
No. If the target isn't reached, everyone is refunded the full amount. If it is successful, you get the reward!
What are the rewards?
There's lots for all budgets. Raffle tickets, discount cards, children's parties, room hire and business partnerships.
Please don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone counts!