Who we are:
For pregnant women, partners and new families, the Pregnancy and Parents Centre is a hub and a safe haven in the heart of Edinburgh. Because we work on a donations basis, and don't turn anyone away, we need help with the costs of this move. The Centre is the only one of its kind and we need to preserve it.
“The support I had from the PPC was huge. It helped my relationship with my baby, my husband, with my whole life”
Why we are Crowdfunding now:
Our building in Lower Gilmore Place is being demolished by developers. It's been a safe and homely space for us for the last 11 years. Our new home at the Pleasance has the potential to be that same safe, homely space families have come to expect, but we need your help to transform it.
To make the space safe for babies and accessible to all, we need:
- structural work to create open spaces
- carpets (for babies crawling around)
- curtains and blinds
- kitchen equipment
- non-toxic paint
- furniture (to enable parents to sit comfortably and chat)
- Plumbing work
- library books
- storage shelves
- yoga mats, pillows and blankets
- many more moving costs
“I couldn’t have imagined how valuable...the PPC would be... it has helped me feel educated, informed, empowered, confident and supported for birth and early parenthood.”
The Pregnancy and Parents Centre began in 1985 in founder, Nadine Edwards' living room. From our various central Edinburgh locations, (Gilmore Place, Leamington Terrace, the Gillis Centre, the Eric Liddell Centre, St. Peter's Place and currently Lower Gilmore Place) we have offered local families a safe and comfortable place to come together and share experiences, develop confidence and make strong friendships to carry them through the challenges of early parenthood.
Since its modest beginnings in 1985, the Centre has grown beyond expectations. It has grown into a valuable resource for large numbers of families in Edinburgh and beyond.
"I am very grateful to be part of this community and could never have imagined what a unique and special place it would be for my family and me.” (2019)
- yoga for pregnancy and with babies after
- birth preparation for women and partners
- birth choices
- support for international families new to Edinburgh
- support for mothers with young babies
- baby massage
- music for parents with babies, toddlers and pre-school children
- breastfeeding support
- complementary therapies
- first aid for parents
- birth education training courses
- a programme of educational talks
- a well-stocked library
- donated maternity wear, baby clothes and cloth nappies
- equipment hire
"I've had access to equipment that could otherwise be expensive to buy, lots of books, and have been linked with people who have been able to offer expertise"
Over 450 people who form a community around the Centre come through the doors each week, and parents who came to the groups as long ago as 25-30 years ago still meet.
To help us with our fundraising, please:
- donate through this page and share with friends
- share your fundraising ideas with us
- tell us about a business you know of that invites matched funding
We want to continue to offer respectful, non judgemental support and information in our community for many years to come. We value having a homely space to welcome people into.
We appreciate all the help you can give.