What we are up to...
We are seeking to raise funds for the development of a creative and cultural working and teaching space with a focus on community engagement and collaborative practice in a disused retail unit on Sidwell Street in Exeter.
The intention is to build a creative visual arts hub that operates to support various communities within Exeter and beyond. The space will provide..
- 6 x Artist Studios - Space for creatives to make work and develop personal projects.
- Project Space - Large street level accessible communal space that workshops and classes can be run in.
- Gallery - Displaying artwork, both group and individual shows.
- Darkroom - Range of enlargers and equipment for processing and printing work.
- Photography Studio - Professional studio lighting and backdrops.
- Library - Books, journals and periodicals for reference and research.
- Meeting Space - Space for creatives to meet & discuss thoughts, plans, projects & proposals.
- Resident charities & organisations - Office and studio space for local groups.
- Study Space - Quiet space for individual study.
Before we can start work on activating the space we need to make the building safe and accessible. The money raised will go towards essential electrical and plumbing works, ensuring wheelchair access and the installation of a disabled loo, renovation of communal work spaces and artist studios, cleaning, painting and decorating, fire safety precautions and a heating system, all to make the building safe, warm and accessible for all.
What we plan to do in the space...
- Workshops - A variety of both contemporary and traditional technical and contextual approaches to photography and the visual arts.
- Courses - Extended programmes delivery key skills to developing and emerging practitioners.
- Talks - Internationally recognised artists presenting their work and professional practice.
- Symposiums - Themed days of talks and discussions exploring a range of concepts within and approaches to the visual arts.
- Exhibitions - High quality projects from both high profile and emerging artists presenting their work from a variety of contexts as well as showcasing community based art works.
- Residencies - Keeping the space vibrant and active by having practitioners producing work within the space.
- Commissions - Provide funded opportunities for new work to be produced.
What we will spend the money on...
There is a LOT of work that needs doing! The building has been empty for about five years so it is in a bit of a sorry state! The money we raise will go towards.
- Mains electrical distribution and power outlets throughout the building
- Lighting & emergency lighting
- Building wide heating
- Fire alarm and security systems
- Plumbing works including a street level accessible toilet
- Cleaning, painting & decorating
All to make the building safe, secure, warm and accessible to all at which point we will deliver an initial exciting range of activities, events and workshops.
The overall intentions of the project are to...
Reach out to and serve a broad and diverse range of social groups including marginalised and underrepresented communities in need of inclusive, accessible, motivating and inspiring experiences.
Engage students from Exeter College, Exeter University and local schools and organisations helping them to develop a broader and more sustainable long term creative practice by learning the importance of partnerships and collaboration.
Support independent creative practitioners, especially those with an interest in and commitment to socially engaged participatory practice, helping them to build on and develop their skill sets and expertise, working towards a more sustainable and resilient way of working.
Offer opportunities for local businesses and organisations interested in developing social outreach programmes and in making creative connections with the city.
Explore ways of working safely and appropriately, mindful of the current climate, with an interest in keeping people connected both in and out of a virtual workspace.
Encourage people from outside of the city interested in engaging with the cultural capital of Exeter and the region.
Focus on diversity, inclusion and accessibility, embedding this in all our planning and production so it reflects the full range of backgrounds, perspectives and abilities within our society.
Positive outcomes if we are successful...
• Create a vibrant social and professional space
• Support local community groups
• Bring footfall to Sidwell Street
• Revitalise a dilapidated building
• Support artists and creative practitioners
• Support local businesses by bringing new trade
• Nuture talent and future local businesses owners
• Make creative connections across sectors
• Encourage new demographic of people to visit the area
• Draw in non Exeter residents to the area
About Positive Light Projects
Positive Light Projects is a not for profit organisation using photography to engage and inspire a diverse range of audiences and communities as well as developing emerging photographers and aiding them move their practise forward in exciting and innovative ways.
Based in Exeter, Devon, we have a focus on and strong belief in community based, socially engaged creative practise. Previous projects include The Dartmoor Summer School of Photography.
This project is made possible by the generous support of