Who are we?
Wendover Parish Council is the first tier of local government serving the parish of Wendover. We represent the local voice and provide services as set out below:
- Allotments - Hogtrough Lane and London Road
- Devolved services - grass verge cutting in 30mph, footpath clearance, hedge enforcements etc.
- Dog waste bins and litter bins in open spaces
- Hampden Pond
- HS2 - mitigation on behalf of the community
- Markets - weekly Thursday market and Local Produce Market on the third Saturday of every month
- Open spaces - Ashbrook Park, Witchel Meadow, Hampden Meadow and Manor Waste
- Play parks - Ashbrook Park and Hampden Meadow
- Streetlights - excluding those on highways
- Trees on parish council land
- Wendover Neighbourhood Plan - 20 year plan for infrastructure and housing
Why are we crowdfunding?
The Parish Council provides many services to local people, which is paid for as an additional amount of money on the Council Tax bill - known as the Precept. We work hard to keep the Precept as low as possible, without cutting services and keeping a balanced budget. We intend to build this skate park without having to raise any costs for residents who are already suffering due to the cost of living crisis. We have raised money from other funders but are not quite there yet and your support will help us to deliver this service without having to increase the burden on the local purse.
How we’ll spend the money raised
All money will go directly into building the skatepark and not the general council budgets. We are seeking for an organisation to match the funding we raise and we will close the Crowdfunder once we reach the limit.
There is currently a severe lack of facilities for young people in Wendover and this was highlighted in the responses to a recent survey. There is a strong desire from the Parish Council to provide a suitable facility for this demographic which is currently very much under-represented in terms of amenities in Wendover. Young people need safe places to meet, exercise and be creative - Wendover skatepark will be that place and provide a focal point for social interaction. With physical and mental health issues becoming increasingly important for today’s youth, it’s time to offer a greater number of healthy, outdoor choices. With skateboarding now an Olympic sport participation in the sport has never been as high as it is now. Whilst it will be called a skatepark it will be suitable for all wheeled sports such as scootering, BMXing and rollerblading. Careful design of the skatepark will mean it is suitable for all ages and abilities.
As the facility will be free to use it is accessible to everyone. Wheeled activities in a carried out in a skatepark is much safer than in the streets, currently the only option for users in Wendover is to use private premises (such as School Car Parks and Industrial unit parking) which creates friction in the community. Skateparks support vibrant, healthy communities, just like many other sports facilities.
The adopted Wendover Neighbourhood Plan specifically refers to a Skatepark as one of the projects to be delivered.
How you can play your part
There are four simple ways to help us reach our target, and make this project a reality.
1. Make a pledge. Don’t delay if you’re going to support us because momentum is key to our success!
2. Spread the word. Share our project on your social media pages and tell the world to get behind us! The more people we reach, the more support we will get.
3. Offer rewards. Get involved if you are a local business by donating things we can offer to our supporters. We will give you a shout out!
4. Fundraise for us. If you want to run your own fundraiser – maybe a sponsored activity or similar – use the 'contact project' button at the top of our page to let us know. Setting up your own page only takes a few minutes and you won’t need any bank details. Just a fun idea!