Plastic free shopping in South Queensferry
The Ferry Weigh will be a new zero waste shop, offering low impact products without single use plastic packaging, to help reduce plastic pollution.
Offering products such as dried food, cleaning products and toiletries, customers are encouraged to bring their own containers (ie glass jars, tupperware, plastic bottles) and reuse them again and again.
How it works:
1. Weigh your empty container
2. Fill it with your chosen product
3. Re-weigh your filled container
4. Pay for just the contents
The plastic problem
Plastic is a major contributor to climate change. Chemicals derived from fossil fuels are used to make more than 99% of plastics. Already responsible for 5% of greenhouse gases, emissions from plastic production are set to grow by almost 300% in years to come.
Every piece of plastic ever made still exists today, with less than a third of all plastic in the UK being recycled. More than 40% is used just once and then ends up in landfill or rivers, with 12 million tonnes of plastic pouring into our oceans every year.
This is having a devastating impact on people, wildlife, and our planet.
- Excess plastic waste is burnt producing toxic fumes that have serious health implications on people of all ages
- Marine life ingest microplastics which transfer up the food chain and are now being found in humans digestive systems
- Wildlife can be killed by plastic when ensnared in it or mistake it for food which they are unable digest
- Annually, 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million sea birds are killed by marine plastic pollution
- Burning plastic waste releases climate-wrecking gases
- Plastics degrading in our oceans are releasing methane, a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2
- Producing one tonne of plastic generates up to 2.5 tonnes of CO2
To address this, we must produce and consume less plastic. Zero waste shops aim to change consumer behaviour by offering an alternative to unnecessary packaging, helping communities to reduce their plastic pollution.
The business has a range of benefits that will strengthen community bonds:
- Create jobs for the local community and will support fair work practices.
- Work with local suppliers wherever possible to not only meet customer demand but to put money back into the local economy.
- Work with local schools and community groups who would like to use the shop for educational purposes.
- Raise awareness in the area about the climate emergency.
- Host sustainable workshops that encourage low impact living and help reduce environmental impact.
I also want to give you the opportunity to help decide what is stocked in the shop. If there are any products you would like, let me know and I will do my best to stock them.
Why I’m crowdfunding
The money raised from this crowdfunding campaign will be used to set up and open The Ferry Weigh.
- Securing premises in the perfect location - £1,822.00
- Carefully sourcing low impact goods - £6,900.00
- Equipment to provide the best customer experience - £5,000.00
- Fitting out the shop to create a pleasant shopping environment - £6,000.00
Additionally, there are the following costs associated with running a crowdfunding campaign:
- Platform fee: 5% + VAT
- Transaction Fee: 2.4% + 20p + VAT on UK/EU cards
- Transaction Fee: 3.25% + 25p + VAT on non-EEA cards
To cover set up costs and crowdfunding fees, I need to raise £21,750.
As an all-or-nothing campaign, if we don’t reach the goal amount, all of the money will be refunded to donors and The Ferry Weigh will not receive anything.
This crowdfunding campaign couldn't happen without your support so to give something back, there are some amazing rewards available:
- Shop discounts and memberships
- Business opportunities*
- Prize draw**, courtesy of several fantastic local businesses (T&Cs apply, free entry route available)
- Help the environment by planting trees
Who’s behind The Ferry Weigh?
My name is Sarah and I'm the founder of The Ferry Weigh!
The devastating impact of climate change has motivated me to adopt sustainable changes over the last six years, including shopping plastic free wherever possible.
After moving to South Queensferry in June 2021, I soon realised driving in and out of Edinburgh to get my refills wasn't environmentally friendly or realistic. And so came the idea for The Ferry Weigh!
Other ways you can help
- Share this page with your friends, family and via social media
- Follow and share The Ferry Weigh Instagram and Facebook pages
- Like, comment and share any of The Ferry Weigh’s social media posts
- Use the hashtag #TheFerryWeigh
I really appreciate all the support so far!
If you’d like to get in touch, contact: [email protected]
*Business rewards are not available to companies whose main business activities contradict the core values of The Ferry Weigh.
**Prize draw T&Cs
1. The promoter of the prize draw is The Ferry Weigh.
2. Who can enter:
- UK residents
- Over 18s
3. How do users enter the draw
- Via The Ferry Weigh crowdfunding page: Select the prize draw you would like to enter from the list of rewards and donate a minimum of £5. Crowdfunding page entrants can submit multiple entries to the same prize draw and can also enter more than one prize draw.
- Via the free entry route: Outline which prize draw you would like to enter on a postcard, along with details of how you can be contacted if you win, and send to:
The Ferry Weigh
14 Wellhead Close
Free entry route entrants can only enter each prize draw once. Each postcard received will only count as one entry in one prize draw i.e. you cannot enter multiple prize draws with one postcard. Only entries that cover the full price of postage for free entry routes will be entered in the prize draw.
- The start date is 12pm on 24.02.2022.
- The end date is 12pm on 31.03.2022.
- Entries will only be eligible if they are received within this time period.
5. Prize details (one entry from each prize draw will win one of the following):
- 1 x £40 WanderWomen voucher
- 1 x Three Bridges Cruise for 2 adults voucher from Forth Boat Tours
- 1 x case of wine (up to the value £65) from The Three Bridges Drinks Company
- 1 x Biofield Tuning Session voucher from Soultime Sessions
- 1 x £20 Dakota voucher
- 1 x £10 Allium voucher
- 1 x 1-2-1 45 minute functional breathing session from Elements of Breath
6. How winners will be selected, notified and announced
- The winner will be chosen at random by software from all valid entries.
- The winner will be notified directly by The Ferry Weigh by 08.04.2022 and will have 14 days to respond to this notification. If the winner fails to respond within 14 days of this notification, a redraw will take place from the remaining valid entries to select a new winner.
- The Ferry Weigh will announce the winners via Facebook and Instagram.
7. How prizes can be claimed, and when these will be delivered.
- WanderWomen: A digital voucher will be sent via email within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.
- Forth Boat Tours: A digital voucher will be sent via email within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.
- The Three Bridges Drinks Company: The winner will be given contact details for The Three Bridges Drinks Company so they can choose their case of wine and arrange delivery directly with The Three Bridges Drinks Company.
- Soultime Session: A voucher will be posted to the winner within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.
- Dakota: A voucher will be posted to the winner within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.
- Allium: A voucher will be posted to the winner within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.
- Elements of Breath: A digital voucher will be sent via email within seven days of the winner providing delivery details.