Seahaven Pride started in 2021 within the grips of the COVID-19 pandemic. A one day festival held this year in Seaford to celebrate the diversity of the LGBTQ+ community, raise awareness, educate and support, and promote inclusion and equality throughout the Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford and wider Lewes district to ensure everyone is free and feels safe to be themselves. Seahaven Pride is inclusive of people from every race and faith, whether disabled or able-bodied, all sexualities and genders.
The issues faced by the LGBTQ+ community are a real. From direct, and indirect discrimination, hate crime and mental wellbeing challenges, many within our community do not feel safe in an "ordinary" local environment. There are too many people around that are struggling alone and unable to find support.
Our aims include:-
- promoting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer culture through public celebration, education and cultural activities
- creating safe environments for the LGBTQ+ people to remove social exclusion to build a stronger community together
- an annual one day Pride festival to celebrate LGBTQ+ diversity and to include a parade in future years
- events throughout the year involving diverse communities (younger, older, differently abled) in our area
- facilitation of local support services for the LGBTQ+ people
- supporting local emerging LGBTQ+ talent who wish to play at Pride
We want Pride within our community by building an integrated society where everyone can embrace, accept and celebrate each others difference and prevent ignorance-based prejudice and discrimination. Our Pride festival is family focussed so our next generations can witness inclusion, respect and acceptance.
By working with local organisations, facilities, initiatives and businesses to show their Pride, TOGETHER we can build a stronger community and friendships through strength and solidarity.
Businesses who sponsor the event will get coverage at the event, such as banners, pop up stalls or mentions on our video screen. There are opportunities to display private messages or special mentions and banners at the event also.
We also need volunteers so would also love to hear from anyone who would like to volunteer some time to help us run the event. We are completely inclusive, all are welcome.
Fundraising is not an easy task and we rely on donations and grant giving. To make this happen, we must call on the community to help us. Of course, we appreciate that you might not be able to give anything right now, and to you we say please share this page and our social media far and wide!