Sutton Community Farm in south London is running a six-week Crowdfunder to raise £50,000.
This will secure the future of our farm and ensure we survive the current economic crisis.
We believe in the power of community food growing, which brings people together while caring for the planet.
But our vision is being threatened by the cost of living crisis.
Please donate to our Crowdfunder to #SaveSuttonCommunityFarm and support a positive future for all.
Sutton Community Farm is London's only community-owned fruit and vegetable farm.
Our beautiful 7-acre farm is located in the smallholdings close to Wallington in south London, right on the edge of the city.
Our farm is of the community, by the community, for the community.
This model brings people together while caring for the planet.
- We are community-owned, and all the money we earn is reinvested back into our community enterprise
- Over 70 weekly farm volunteers get involved in all areas of farm activities, with 11 volunteer sessions occurring Monday - Thursday, plus additional Saturdays
- Volunteers experience a range of social benefits, including better physical and mental health, making new friends, learning new skills, and feeling more connected to food and community
- Welcoming volunteers with learning disabilities provides much-valued opportunities for marginalised local people
- Training opportunities for aspiring food growers and farmers secures our collective future
- Partnerships with local food banks and charities provides a vital source of fresh food to those most in need
Sutton Community Farm's vision is being threatened by the cost of living crisis
The majority of our income comes through selling VegBoxes and other fresh food on our online farm shop. Over the past year, rising costs have created financial uncertainty for our community enterprise.
We know times are tough. But well-produced, locally-grown fresh food that is good for people and planet should not fall victim to the current economic crisis.
At the start of the pandemic, the big supermarket supply chains failed. Once again, we've recently seen empty shelves and supermarket shortages, exposing a lack of food security in our country.
Sutton Community Farm is working towards building a better, more resilient food system. This means paying a fair price for good food by directly supporting nature-friendly farmers.
Crowdfunding £50,000 will provide us with financial security until 2024, allowing time to continue to deliver our core activities, rebuild our customer base, and seek grant funding.
This money will fund:
- More fruits and vegetables being grown on our farm
- Supporting the livelihoods of other organic farmers
- Protecting nature and making our lands more resilient to the challenges of the climate crisis
- A welcoming and inclusive farm community, with hundreds of local people benefiting from improved wellbeing, new skills and knowledge, and the chance to meaningfully connect with other people
- Vital training opportunities that will create the food growers and farmers of the future
- Fresh food donations to local food banks to ensure that those most in need have access to healthy fruit and veg
The upcoming months are going to be tough, but we're confident we'll be able to turn things around!
We feel energised and inspired to come together as a community and secure a positive future for our farm.
Please support Sutton Community Farm by making a donation, buying a Crowdfunder reward, or helping to spread the word to your friends and family.