Ever since bursting onto the scene in June 1994, Red Pepper has been an avowedly socialist and radical space for debate, thought and inquiry. We’ve tackled the toughest issues, given space for radical ideas to come to the fore and platformed writers the mainstream wouldn’t give the time of day.
We think the left needs publications which are non-sectarian yet unafraid to take a stand, radical yet non-dogmatic, and thoughtful yet orientated on real-world activism. We’re pushing against the grain of the corporate billionaire owned press machine that stifles ideas and suppresses possibilities for transformation.
We’re proud to be by and for the movement, pushing for change to tackle the biggest issues of our time. When we have fantastic, well resourced and independent media, we all win.
After a quarter century of history, we’re an unmissable and stunning quarterly print magazine and website of left politics and culture. We’re also a non-profit funded from the grassroots up. We always have and still do operate on a shoestring budget.
Our team has worked incredibly hard to limit the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on our finances, and because of this we’re in a much more sustainable position. But continuing as usual doesn’t help the movement, and it certainly doesn’t allow us to scale up the impact of our publishing.
We’re not going to gloss it over; we’ve kept up with the politics, the ideas and the debate, but we haven’t kept up with the technology.
As a result of making budgets stretch and searching for cash down the back of sofas, our digital systems are in worse shape than the United State’s infrastructure. In order to be a hard-hitting publication in the 21st century, we need modern technology and tools, which is why we’re asking for your support to build on over 25 years of history, and help us create the next 25 to come. Red Pepper’s revolution will be digitised.
With your help, we can:
- Build a much-needed and brand new website with smartly organised, easy-to-find articles on the international issues you care about most
- Digitise our entire archive, giving you access to all our print issues from 1994 onwards – featuring articles by Harold Pinter, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Naomi Klein, Edward Said, Barbara Gunnell, Gary Younge, Laurie Penny and many more
- Create new educational resources for the contemporary left: free, accessible online guides to socialist theory, history, organising and movement-building
- Make it easier for subscribers to update their details, adjust their payments and get in touch with the team
We are aiming to raise a minimum of £20,000 to get Red Pepper’s digital revolution off to a flying start. Your contributions, no matter how small, will catapult Red Pepper into the 21st century.
And rest assured, we place huge value on every pound we receive. We always keep costs to a minimum and our team and editorial collective are not just part of Red Pepper, but integral parts of social movements the world over so have a commitment to make funding go as far as possible. We are here to serve the movement.
The team behind Red Pepper has evolved over the years to bring on younger people, more women, more people of colour and those with experiences of migration. Our team consists of fantastic editors, administrators, organisers, bookkeepers and everyone else in between giving their time, energy and passion every year since 1994.
Each and every one of us have contributed massively to make Red Pepper what it is today and everything we build going forward is steadied by the solid foundations built with each year. We currently comprise a collective of editors that shape and mould our editorial direction, board members that guide our operations, administrators that keep the engine turning, and freelancers that bring their unique skills from design and photography, to editorial quality. Together, we’re responsible not just for the quarterly magazine and fantastic, regular digital content, but for providing a platform for the movement.
If you aren’t able to contribute much financially, you can still play a crucial role in Red Pepper’s future:
- Sign up on a pay as you feel subscription. Subscribers are our primary source of regular and long-term funding to meet our overheads. We recommend £3 per month, but you can choose here. This might help spread the cost of a contribution over the course of the year, and you will get our beautiful magazine on your doormat every three months.
- Join our ‘Pepperista’ mailing list to receive regular communications about Red Pepper, latest content, opportunities and more
- Follow us on social media and turn on notification alerts. We’re active on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and liking and sharing our tweets and posts helps others who might not otherwise see our content.