All money raised will be used to develop the facility including undertaking the structural work necessary and installing new equipment such as screens, mats, hitting turf and new technology etc. The total cost of the project will be in the region of £30,000.
- Prudhoe Golf Club is a small welcoming member's golf club in Northumberland established in 1930.
- A club that is known for its diverse family, friendly environment providing a golf experience for all of the local community and beyond to enjoy.
- Prudhoe Golf Club is well renowned for producing some fantastic golfers and we hope with the initiation of this project it will enable us to develop more champion golfers in the future.
- We are a members golf club managed by an Executive Committee including Dave Williams - Chairman, Andy Scrimshaw - Director of Golf, Colin Malia - Treasurer and Joanne Robinson - Golf Club Secretary. We also have a full committee which have monthly meetings and all members are welcome to share their opinion, ideas and also vote at an AGM meeting.
How the new indoor training facility will impact upon the local community...
- It will provide everyone in Prudhoe and the surrounding community an opportunity to try golf in a warm, welcoming and safe environment.
- The advanced technology will appeal to many, maximising the engagement of all users and can be used all year round especially during the winter months.
- It will offer any new golfers the basic skills before playing the golf course and all current golfers the opportunity to reach their full potential and in time inspire others.
- It will enable people within the community to develop their confidence, social skills and physical health activity that will benefit other aspects of everyday life.
- Prudhoe is subject to regular anti-social and disruptive behaviour which can be overcome if the youth had a ‘feeling of belonging’. This project will allow us to engage with the youth and offer them an inclusive club that they can become part of. A programme of regular activities within the training facility will provide social and physical development opportunities and encourage pride in their local area.
- It will offer an inclusive space for rehabilitation for the injured, elderly or less abled users to participate in exercise all year round.
Why an indoor training facility is essential at Prudhoe Golf Club...
- Prudhoe Golf Club is renowned for having very limited and inferior practice facilities to other golf clubs in the district. The practice ground is limited in size, doesn’t have a practice net and runs adjacent to a busy main road. For this reason Driver and/or Long Iron practice is not possible and discouraged for the majority of players. Also, any more than two persons practicing at once is unsafe. Without shelter, the practice ground is effectively redundant in the winter months, impacting both junior and any golf coaching opportunities.
- This facility will allow Prudhoe Golf Club to optimise clubhouse usage and much needed revenue during the dark winter months when opening hours have been historically restricted. Shorter daylight hours and inclement weather forcing course and practice area closure will have a lesser impact in future if an indoor golf / training facility is available.
- The golf club will become a hub to integrate the local community and extended opening hours will allow us to provide an all year round service thus improving the health and mental wellbeing of its users.
Junior Golf at Prudhoe Golf Club...
- Prudhoe Golf Club has made great progress this last year in reigniting interest in junior golf and developing our junior program. Early 2022 we had only ONE junior golfer with an active handicap, we now have 42 junior members with 14 junior golfers regularly engaging in club competitions and holding an active handicap at the club.
- Prudhoe Golf Club is working closely with the Golf Foundation to further drive junior participation and also recently secured HSBC Golf Roots Centre of Excellence accreditation.
How the indoor training facility can enhance our partnerships within the local community...
- We will be initiating a Monday evening Prudhoe Golf Club Youth Club throughout the winter months. This will be accessible to all young people in the community no matter what socio economic background, race or ability level. We will be running this initiative in partnership with the Prudhoe Youth Project.
- As a way of encouraging more ladies and girls to get into golf we have become part of the R & A Women in Golf Charter. This new indoor facility will allow us to continue this program throughout the winter months where we would normally be unable to do so. The ambition of Prudhoe Golf Club is to increase the female membership and become a more gender balanced club.
How our project will be United by Birmingham 2022...
To celebrate the success of the 2022 Common-Wealth games we aim to create a local legacy. The project will be united by Birmingham 2022 and will embrace the development of youth in the local area. We will provide a state-of-the-art facility to inspire and engage any future champions to take up golf. The facility will be used to connect communities and get more people active ultimately living a happier and healthier life.
- Prudhoe Golf Club wishes to apply for funding to achieve its ambition of creating a state-of-the-art indoor training facility, regenerating the existing clubhouse. This new facility will be accessible by all within the local community including all socio-economic backgrounds.
- Prudhoe Golf Club wants to reinvent itself as an appealing forward-thinking golf club with the local community at its heart.
- Prudhoe Golf Club is part of CASC and offers an affordable membership category. Like most organisations its operational costs are rising dramatically and we are trying to balance inflation whilst staying affordable and inclusive to all.
- Subsequent to the impact of Covid-19 and the general decline of social interaction during the pandemic (especially whilst the clubhouse building was closed) Prudhoe Golf Club is slowly recovering and now has limited resources available.
- Prudhoe Golf Club has prioritised and invested heavily in its junior development program this year to re-establish the junior section at the club which had been inactive since 2016.
- Whilst Prudhoe Golf Club strives to become more sustainable and self-financing, it will struggle to do so throughout the darker winter months without the additional long term income stream that this facility would provide.
The new indoor training facility will be situated within the existing clubhouse, in an under-utilised TV area and an old dance floor. Prudhoe Golf Club is proposing to turn this area into a state-of-the-art training facility.
What the funds will be used for:
- Purchasing the building materials required for the necessary structural work to obtain the optimal ceiling height of 3.1m.
- Installation of the golf training studio
- Studio lighting
- Hitting screen, pelmet and wall tiles
- Studio PC, touch screen monitors
- Turf hitting mat
- Computer and audio equipment
There are four simple ways to help us reach our target, and make this project a reality.
1. Make a pledge. Don’t delay if you’re going to support us because momentum is key to our success!
2. Spread the word. Share our project on your social media pages and tell the world to get behind us! The more people we reach, the more support we will get.
3. Offer rewards. Get involved if you are a local business by donating things we can offer to our supporters. We will give you a shout out!
4. If you want to run your own fundraiser to support us, maybe a sponsored activity or similar, use the 'contact project' button at the top of our page to let us know. Setting up your own page only takes a few minutes and you won’t need any bank details. Just a fun idea!