Neema Women Community is a not-for-profit organisation created to empower and support women and girls from disadvantaged and vulnerable backgrounds. We provide person-centred services in the following area:
- Mental health - group sessions, 1-1 therapy, counselling, etc...
- Support and Advice – welfare benefits, family support, early help, foodbank
- Domestic abuse and Victim support services
- Employment and Education
Our beneficiaries are women from BAME and low-income backgrounds in various vulnerable situations such as domestic abuse, homelessness, poverty, low mental health, financial hardship, and others.
The cost of living crisis has shone a light on the different struggles that vulnerable individuals living in poverty face on a daily basis. It’s becoming impossible for parents to meet even their children’s basic needs such as food and clothing. Through our different consultations, project, and social gathering across the city, we have observed an increase in vulnerable families experiencing poverty. Hence we have decided to launch a new project which would benefit the community as a whole: Penuria Project.
Penuria = Latin translation of the state of being “poor or being in shortage of something leading to poverty”.
The Peunira Project is a community initiative aimed at alleviating hardship for vulnerable individuals in light of the rise in the cost of living and fighting marginalisation. The money raised will be used to provide the following help:
- Food parcels
- Clothes including school uniforms (all of our clothing donations are assessed and washed before being distributed)
- Essential Items (toiletries and household hygiene products)
- Practical and holistic support (welfare benefits, housing support, etc...)
- Peer support group
- Regular social gatherings (coffee morning, tea party, workshops)
- Support vulnerable households in their fight against poverty
- Alleviate pressure and strains on children caused by financial
- Increase financial resilience
- Reduction in social exclusion and marginalisation