Who are we?
We are community rugby club based in the small village of Ystrad Mynach in South Wales.
The club was established in 1952 and has been at the heart of the local community ever since. We provide rugby for all age groups from under 6 right through to seniors, as well as walking rugby for the older generations.
As a club we are fully inclusive and provide a central hub for the community where everyone is welcome and thanks to the tireless work of an army of volunteers we are able to do that week in week out.
We currently have over 250 local children in our mini and junior section, as well as a youth team and two senior teams. Many of our children and adults come from areas of social deprivation and we pride ourselves on providing opportunities and a safe and nurturing environment that teaches them both rugby and life skills, with the aim of making them well rounded individuals both on and off the field.
Why are we crowdfunding?
The aim of our crowdfunding campaign is to redevelop the back patio area of the club which has become delapidated over time and in its current state has become dangerous and out of use to both club members and the public.
The club had plans to redevelop the area a few years ago, but due to the impact of the pandemic and impacts of increased energy costs we have found ourselves in a position where we are financially struggling to be able to do so.
As well as providing our members with a place to sit and enjoy the rugby being provided at the club, the area was previously an asset to the local community, providing a seating area next to the park & fields for families, teachers and local business staff during the week.
With the club being a central hub to the local community we once again want to provide a safe and enjoyable area for people of all ages to enjoy.
How we’ll spend the money raised
We aim to redevelop the whole outside back area - with the key features being:
- removing the previous multiple haphazard levels and having a single flay single level patio area that will be accessible to all
- installing a full suite of brand new picnic benches that can be enjoyed by the whole community
- improving and renewing the access ramp to the main hall
Although we are a rugby club our facilities are used by the whole community for a range of different activities.
There are several groups & clubs that use the club to meet on a weekly basis including slimming world, the Welsh History Society and a local line dancing group.
Parties, weddings, funerals and christenings within the local community are constantly held at our clubhouse and with our nomina hire fee it makes the venue accessible to the whole community.
We also provide a place for local football and rugby fans to watch live games on pay to view television networks that are becoming increasingly more expensive.
The redevelopment will further expand the area available at the club for both members and the local community, as well as providing a much improved access ramp to the main hall. The redeveloped area will be open to the public even when the clubhouse is closed, once again providing a safe outdoor seating area for users of the park, fields and staff from the adjoining local school Trinity Fields.
How you can play your part
There are four simple ways to help us reach our target, and make this project a reality.
1. Make a pledge. Don’t delay if you’re going to support us because momentum is key to our success! Check out our Rewards to see what different levels of pledge can get you.
2. Spread the word. Share our project on your social media pages and tell the world to get behind us! The more people we reach, the more support we will get.
3. Offer rewards. Get involved if you are a local business by donating things we can offer to our supporters. We will give you a shout out!
4. Fundraise for us. If you want to run your own fundraiser – maybe a sponsored activity or similar – use the 'contact project' button at the top of our page to let us know. Setting up your own page only takes a few minutes and you won’t need any bank details. Just a fun idea!