WHO WE ARE
We are a local registered charity staffed by volunteers who have been passionately working over the past four years to bring a community arts centre and cinema to the town of Montrose which will benefit not only the town's residents but also that of the surrounding area.
You can read all about our journey so far on our website www.montroseplayhouse.co.uk.
WHERE WE ARE
The area around the beautiful seaside town of Montrose in Angus has always brought out the creative side in its residents. It has been and still is home to authors, artists, musicians, film makers, photographers and dancers. What the town lacks is a focal point where the community can come together to take part in or just to appreciate the arts.
WHAT WE DO
We are raising £2.5million through fundraising, events, grants and investment to renovate our former town swimming pool into a non profit state of the art facility encompassing a Three screen digital cinema, exhibition and community space, conference facilities and a The Reel Cafe Bar. The cinema screens will not only show the latest blockbusters, but also classic movies and live screenings of, for instance, West End shows, ballets or operas.
Our ultimate social and economic impact will be wide reaching, but some of our main aims are:-
- Making cinema and the arts more accessible for all, but particularly vulnerable groups for whom distance and cost is usually prohibitive.
- Combating social isolation, for example, in the elderly, by encouraging group participation in targeted activities.
- Advancing education by working with schools to utilise the community space and providing educational productions and tours on the big screen.
- Providing work experience, jobs and training places for students and those who are differently abled or otherwise disadvantaged in the labour market.
- Making Montrose a better place to work, live and visit.
Find out about how we are more than just a cinema in our video
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Now that we own the building, we have assembled a crack team of local tradesmen and DIY enthusiasts who have volunteered to help us strip the building back to a shell before the renovations can commence. To keep these local heroes safe and help them to carry out the work, we need to raise £15,000 to cover the costs of equipment, materials and health and safety gear.
Every step further that we manage to take with the help of you, the community, lets us show funders and investors the need and desire for the facility and also proves that we have the will and the power to succeed with the Project.
Thank you for your continuing support.
The Playhouse Team