In July last year, some of the most polluting single-use plastic items were banned across Europe and despite our government promising they would match the ban, we’re still waiting for them to live up to their promises.
After over 100,000 people signed our petition this government FINALLY opened a public consultation on the ban. But their proposals are still too slow - suggesting a ban won’t come in for years yet!
We are on the verge of making history and creating meaningful legislation to tackle some of the most polluting plastic items. But we need your help to force government to implement this decision.
Why is this important?
- According to DEFRA, England uses 1.1 billion single-use plates and 4.25 billion items of single-use cutlery— most of which are plastic — per year.
- But only 10% are recycled upon disposal.
- They are consistently found to be some the MOST POLLUTING plastic items in our rivers and oceans.
- This government is promising a lot, but now we need to hold their feet to the fire and make sure they deliver. This means delivering on the most basic promises like banning the most polluting plastics. It also means making sure they go further on items like cigarette butts and wet wipes that they’ve opened a ‘call for information’ for.
Unless we act fast, Westminster will keep falling behind the rest of the EU that has already banned them. We need your help to make them KEEP THEIR PROMISES.
How we make a big impact
We didn’t just stop at the petition that received over 100,000 signatures. We’ve also called on our supporters to contribute to the consultation. Incredibly, close to 50,000 supporters have responded to government.
When we act together they can’t ignore us!
Donate now to help City to Sea, the campaigners forcing government to ban some of the most polluting single-use plastic items and protect our rivers & oceans.
We are a small but mighty not-for-profit organisation based in Bristol. We do so much of our campaigns on a shoestring, roping in help from amazing partners and supporters. And now we need your support.
Our entire staff team is smaller than the press office at DEFRA. They have more experts, more research capacity, more reach and yet none of the urgency. That’s why we are here to gently, but forcibly, nudge them in the right direction.
With more funds, we can make an even bigger impact. Your donation will help us:
- Resource our small team of crafty campaigners, policy wonks, media magicians and more to help us keep track of DEFRA and to keep the pressure on.
- Get in front of journalists and the media to keep the issue in the news.
- Get the word out there on social media – we’ll be able to create and distribute more social media content to get this IMPORTANT MESSAGE out. We CANNOT let them sweep this under the carpet.
- Keep building a community of activists – just like YOU – to keep this government’s toes to the fire.
- To take your voice to the heart of government to make sure they are doing all they can to tackle plastic pollution.
We know this works. We submitted one of the largest responses to a consultation EVER to DEFRA on their plans for a plastic tax and this year they passed the Environment Act that will allow them to charge for single-use items. Already we’ve had close to 50,000 supporters respond to their consultation to some of the most polluting single-use plastics. DEFRA knows that when City to Sea calls on their supporters, we get a BIG response.