Great Adaptations is a book and a campaign by The Glacier Trust. Our aim is to increase awareness of the need to ensure social justice is embedded in the climate change adaptation strategies of people, businesses, institutions and nations in the run up to the UN climate conference, COP26.
By supporting our Crowdfunder you can help The Glacier Trust to launch the book and get its messages to as wide an audience as possible.
Great Adaptations - In the shadow of a climate crisis by The Glacier Trust's Co-Director, Dr. Morgan Phillips, is filled with stories of the great (and not so great) adaptations to climate change that are happening around the world.
It has been designed to be eye-catching and written to be deliberately provocative. We want it to be a conversation starter and a way into this fascinating, sometimes infuriating, subject at exactly the moment the world is starting to wake up to it.
This Crowdfunder is also your opportunity to get your hands on a limited-edition advance copy the book, early access to our accompanying podcast, and an exclusive opportunity to buy the original artwork that has been specially created by one of the UK's most talented papercut artists Suzie Harrison.
*Read on for more details or, if you are ready to pledge, please select one of 'rewards' featured on the right hand side of this page. ----------------->
Great Adaptations will be published by Arkbound and will hit the shops on September 14th. By supporting this Crowdfunder you can help bolster the funds we need to promote the book. We want it to fly off the shelves and that will only happen if enough people hear about it!
We have worked with Arkbound to develop a promotional plan. Here are some of the things we hope to do, your support will help make them happen:
This is our plan:
- Create a dedicated Great Adaptations podcast series featuring interviews with key figures in the climate and social justice movements.
- Send advance copies of Great Adaptations to key figures in the climate movement encouraging them to spread awareness of the book, the podcast and the message.
- Engage the senior leadership teams of the UK's five largest environmental organisations to encourage them to increase the amount and type of coverage they give to adaptation.
- Place adverts for Great Adaptations in specialist magazines, websites, and via Twitter, Facebookm LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Host and attend online and real world events to promote the Great Adaptations book and campaign.
- Make as many media appearances as possible on TV, radio, and podcasts, and in as many newspapers, magazines, and websites as we can.
Crowdfunder UK encourage fundraisers to offer their supporters 'rewards' as a way to thank them for their pledges. We are not hugely comfortable with that framing, it is a bit too transactional. We also know that our supporters are happy to give without the expectation of a reward.
However, we do want to give you the opportunity to get your hands on copies of Great Adaptations and to sponsor some of our planned promotional activities. This is also a great way to make the one-off original artworks available for you to own. Here are the 'packages' you can go for:
- Great Adaptations is printed by Calverts Ltd., a workers’ cooperative, on pre-consumer recycled paper using vegetable oil-based inks, and renewable energy. Calverts have supplied us with the first 300 copies that came off the presses. The first 50 copies have been signed and numbered by Morgan Phillips. This is your chance to own one of the first 50 copies of the first edition of the book.
- Receive a print copy of Great Adaptations on August 24th, exactly three weeks before it is released in the shops.
- This is your chance to help us get copies of Great Adaptations into the hands of the climate movement's key figures. This will, we hope, help spread awareness of the book, the podcast, and the message, within the movement.
There are three categories of 'key figures' to choose from:
(1) COP26 key players - includes Boris Johnson and Mark Carney;
(2) Writers and journalists - includes George Monbiot and Naomi Klein;
(3) Legends - includes Greta Thunberg and Caroline Lucas
Please choose a key figure from one of the lists, and we'll post them a book on your behalf.* Supporters of this package will also receive an advance signed copy of Great Adaptations.
*Unless you instruct us otherwise, you will remain anonymous - Boris Johnson doesn't need to know that we have sent him Great Adaptations on your behalf!
- The Glacier Trust's 'We Need To Talk About Adaptation' research revealed how few articles on adaptation are written by the UK's five largest environmental organisations. We want to encourage them to engage their supporters more on this issue.
To do this we are going to hand deliver - via bicycle - ten copies of Great Adaptations to the leaders of Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, WWF, RSPB, and The Green Party. Select this package to enable us to send ten copies to the organisation of your choice*.
Supporter of this package will receive an advance signed copy of Great Adaptations, the Great Adaptations podcast series on CD, and a personal video message of thanks from Dr. Morgan Phillips.
*Unless you instruct us otherwise, you will remain anonymous.
- We worked with one of the UK's most talented papercut artists Suzie Harrison to create a series of original Great Adaptations artworks. These unique works feature on the book's cover and on the pages that introduce each of the book's four main parts.
Suzie has donated all five pieces to The Glacier Trust, these are one-off originals and are exclusively available through this Crowdfunder. Each artwork is professionally framed, signed by the artist, and will come with a signed and numbered copy of Great Adaptations.
1. 'Great Adaptations' by Suzie Harrison (approx. 30cm x 42cm) - £250
Suzie's first piece was created to sit beneath the book's dust jacket to illustrate how the adaptation side of the climate change story is hidden in the shadows. It depicts many of the adaptation stories covered in the book.
2. 'Silence' by Suzie Harrison (approx. 30cm x 21cm) - £200
'Silence' introduces part one of Great Adaptations, it is twin scene of New York City from Staten Island and Sandy Staten Island itself post-superstorm Sandy. It relates to the book's first chapter 'The Storm before the Calm'. You can choose which way up you'd like to hang it!
3. 'Adaptation' by Suzie Harrison (approx. 30cm x 21cm) - £200
Part 2 of Great Adaptations does what the Great Adaptations project calls for... it talks about adaptation. 'Adaptation' illustrates some of the great (and not so great) adaptations featured in the book.
4. 'Transformation' by Suzie Harrison (approx. 30cm x 21cm) - £200
The third part of Great Adaptations introduces the potential for Transformative Adaptation and delves into wider story around climate change and what it might be telling us about 'Western' civilisation. 'Transformation' is another twin scene, this time of two possible futures.
5. 'Stories' by Suzie Harrison (approx. 30cm x 21cm) - £200
The final part of Great Adaptations examines the 'reassuring stories' that circulate around climate change mitigation, and adaptation. How to communicate effectively on the climate crisis is one of the most hotly contested debates in the movement. 'Stories' features the storytellers and some of the things they are (and aren't) telling us.
- To accompany the October release of the audiobook version of Great Adaptations, we hope to release a Great Adaptations podcast series featuring interviews with people who appear in the book, as well as some of the climate justice movements most prominent figures.
We have already interviewed Asad Rehman, and have Carne Ross, Liz Koslov and several others on stand-by if we can raise enough money to cover the costs of getting the podcast onto platforms like Spotify, iTunes and Google Play.
Podcast supporters will help make this possible and will receive: an advance copy of Great Adaptations, a note of thanks in the podcast show notes, and an 'on air' mention at the end of each podcast episode*. You will also receive a link to download an MP3 of each episode 48 hours before it goes 'live'.
*If you would prefer to remain anonymous, please let us know.
- This package includes a signed copy of Great Adaptations and the full Great Adaptations podcast series on CD. You will also receive a note of thanks, an on air mention and a link to download an MP3 of each episode before it goes live.
- Our marketing and advertising budget for Great Adaptations is tiny, but you can give it a boost by supporting us to place adverts via our Social Media channels in September, October, and November 2021. Select this package, to receive an advance copy of the book and to enable to promote the book via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Please note: if you would like to receive more than one of the rewards on offer, you will need to come back to this page after each donation to select your second, third and fourth rewards.
Postage and packaging: all prices are inclusive of postage and packaging. Books will be sent via Royal Mail and we will endeavour to get them to you as soon as possible wherever you are in the world.
Great Adaptations has already received high profile support from environmentalists, authors and climate justice campaigners. You can find full quotes in the inside page of the book, but here are some abridged comments:
- ‘An important contribution to imagining a different future’ - Asad Rehman
- ‘A huge challenge to us all to strive for radical change’ - Sonja Graham
- ‘Great Adaptations is a revelation’ - Saleemul Huq
- ‘A brave and timely work’ - Richard McIlwain
- ‘Read it and leap!’ - Skeena Rathor
- ‘Provocative, informative and imaginative’ - Carne Ross
- ‘A twin wind of reality and hope’ - Andrew Simms
- ‘A wake-up call’ - Ollie Hayes
- ‘It is only by embracing adaptation that will we be able to build the solidarity and belonging that can bring us out of the crisis’ - Wolfgang Knorr
- ‘My earnest hope is that this book will be a turning of the tide’ - Rupert Read
Title: Great Adaptations - In the shadow of a climate crisis
Author: Morgan Phillips
Release Date: 14th September 2021
Page Count: 224