If we reach our stretch goal we will be able to put more young people through the programme and involve more freelancers or small businesses.
I founded Collaborative Future with the mission of building a more fulfilling future for everyone and helping people to thrive through the power of collaboration. As part of this I believe in empowering future generations and investing in the skills of young people.
Having spent many years exploring the issue of youth unemployment and access to education I want to pilot a project that gives the most marginalised young people (18-24 year olds not in full-time education or employment) a hands-on opportunity to learn how different types of business operate and explore how they can make work work for them!
What will the pilot involve?
At least three young people will be provided with a paid work placement within a community of freelancers & small businesses
The work placement will be flexible. The young people will need to commit to working up to 50 hours across 4 weeks but they will work with me to plan their work patterns to fit in around their other commitments. For instance a young mother may choose to work 10am-2pm across 3 weeks in order to do drop offs & pick ups from school.
- We will recruit up to 10 freelancers or small business owners who commit to working with one young person for at least 8 hours in the duration of 4-week pilot, but are welcome to offer more of their time. They will work with me to plan out which projects will be most suitable for the working patterns that the young person has chosen.
- The young people and businesses will gain access to a co-working space at Work Social so that they can work side by side with one another during the pilot.
- I will coach and support the young people to translate their new skills and experience into CVs & interview techniques, as well as how to balance work with their wider life.
- We will host a celebratory event at the end of the 4 week pilot where we will invite other businesses and provide a networking opportunity for the young people and the freelancers/small businesses.
What will the young people gain?
- Access to new skills that will help them with applying for jobs or to set up their own business in the future
- Access to a community of freelancers & small businesses who may become longer-term mentors
- At least minimum wage for the hours they work
- The confidence and understanding of how to make work work for them.
How will the freelancers & small businesses benefit?
- Access to free support/skills from the young people (this fundraising is partly so that they do not have to pay the wages of the young people)
- A fresh perspective on their projects
- A networking opportunity with others involved in the pilot
- Access to Works Social, a shared co-working space,
- A special mention on our website and social media.
Who else will benefit?
- We'll be making the outcomes and process of this pilot as open as possible - which means that if other communities or organisations want to replicate the project they can do!
Who else is involved?
- We'll work with local youth projects and agencies to source the young people for the project.
- We're also on the look out for a main sponsor who will get their branding on any marketing or PR materials, and who will also be invited to be more involved in the pilot should they wish to be.
How will we spend the money raised?
We will publish all of our expenses throughout the project, and any profit will be reinvested into future projects like this. At the moment we expect to spend the funds on the following:
- Paying the young people for their time
- Paying for venues & co-working space
- Repaying a small percentage of my time to co-ordinate and project manage the pilot (just enough to pay my basic bills for one month!)
- A celebration activity such as bowling or mini-golf
When is this amazing project going to take place?
- Ideally we'll run the project in October or November 2019 but it depends on the schedules of the young people and the businesses.
How can I take part in this pilot?
- We'll be opening applications for the work placements and confirming the freelancers/small businesses involved once we've reached our funding target. In the meantime if you are a young person, freelancer or small business then you can register your interest here.
- If you want to help in another way then please contact [email protected] with details of what support you could provide.