We are delighted to finally be able to launch our crowd funder for the Burley In Wharfedale pump track and balance bike projects. It’s been a busy couple of years for us to get to this point - We had planning permission accepted for the project back in 2023, we’ve had the relevant land surveys completed and we’ve been busy getting some initial funds in place to really kickstart the project.
We owe a great big thanks to the Burley In Wharfedale Parish Council & Community Trust, PayDirt, Orbea Bicycles and Otley Cycling Club so far for their very generous contributions meaning we already have £81,000 towards our £220,000 target.
What is a Pump Track?
Well, first of all, pump tracks are both playgrounds and training facilities for bikers, skateboarders or scooter riders of all skill levels and ages. They are highly popular destinations that become a hive of community activity. Riders enjoy practising the basic skills of carrying momentum, improving balance and building speed by using their arms and legs to pump their bike/board/scooter around the track.
As riders improve their skills, the tracks are designed to provide the option for more challenges with increased speed and skill, so no matter your age or skill level. There will be plenty of fun for all.
Why Burley? Why Now?
Burley In Wharfedale is an expanding community bursting with energy and passion. Our vision is to create a safe, exciting, and inclusive space for everyone to embrace the joy of cycling and other forms of wheels. Whether you're a seasoned rider or a little one taking their first wobbly ride, this project is for you. Located in the heart of the Wharfe Valley, this project will really be a hub for the wider community surrounding the village and is exactly what we need in an area that has such a strong cycling community.
The project is already fully supported by Burley In Wharfedale Parish Council (BPC) and Burley in Wharfedale Community Trust (BWCT) with financial pledges of £25,000 each. It is also supported by the Burley Trojans football club and is part of the justification for building a new community pavilion on the recreation ground. The project itself has already been granted planning permission, so all we need to do now is raise more funds.
There will be two separate pump tracks being built on the designated areas.
- A balance bike and accessibility track that will be replacing the skatepark (which is out-dated and in need of replacing)
- A main pump track, which will be built in its own space adjacent to the basketball court and current skatepark site.
Balance Bike & Accessibility Track
This track will be a simple oval shape with shallow rollers and berms. The track itself will be slightly wider than the main track and it’s shallower profile and smaller features will make it ideal for younger children on balance bikes and scooters, as well as wheelchair users. It’s the perfect stepping stone to the big track and will be a great place for toddlers to gain confidence on their balance bikes.
The Main Pumptrack
This track will be situated next to to the smaller track. It will be bigger in length and have larger rollers, steeper berms as well as transitions and features that make it more suited for all ages and abilities and users groups. Bikes, scooters, skateboards, roller blades, it’s there to be enjoyed by all with it’s all weather tarmac surface.
Benefits Of The Pump Track Project?
- Physical Activity: Pump tracks encourage outdoor physical activity and exercise, promoting a healthy lifestyle for people of all ages whether they are on a bike, scooter, skateboard or rollerblades.
- Inclusive Recreation: They are accessible to a wide range of skill levels, making it an inclusive recreational space for the entire community. From toddlers on balance bikes, right through to professional cyclists they cater for all.
- Skill Development: Pump tracks provide an opportunity for cyclists to develop and refine their cycling and balance skills.
- Community Gathering: They serve as a focal point for the community, bringing people together and fostering a sense of belonging. This will be especially true with the future plans we have for our tracks, other recreational facilities and the pavilion in Burley.
- Youth Engagement: Pump tracks can keep young people engaged in positive activities, reducing the risk of delinquent behavior. There’s not enough for younger people to do in the area that encourages an active lifestyle in a fun way - the pump tracks will be part of the answer to that.
- Environmental Benefits: They promote cycling and other sustainable ways of transportation. Our hope is that the pump tracks encourage more people in Wharfe Valley to get on their bikes and find joy.
- Social Interaction: They encourage social interaction and networking among community members, strengthening social bonds. Again, with our plans of future events at the pump tracks, we hope to build a really strong community around this project.
- Quality of Life: Overall, pump tracks enhance the quality of life in a community by offering a fun and engaging recreational option that benefits physical and mental well-being. This pump track and balance bike will be the best (and really one of the kind) within an hour’s radius of Burley. It'll provide a safe space for toddlers, kids and adults to come and enjoy cycling and it’s the perfect asset for the valley which has already proven its place on the cycling map.
How You Can Make a Difference
We need to raise about £200,000 to make this project a reality. With donations and pledges so far we have raised nearly half of this amount. We now need your help in the community to really help us with this next stage of fundraising and to show the support for this project. If we reach our target of £100,000 with this initial fundraising phase, we'll almost have got what we need to make the project happen. We are looking to build this facility by the Spring of 2025 at a similar time to the separate pavilion project sponsored By Burley Trojans F.C.
Every pound and penny brings us closer to breaking ground on this exciting project. Your contribution, no matter the size, makes a significant impact!
Spread the Word:
Share our campaign on social media, with friends, and within the community. The more people who know, the stronger our pedal-powered movement becomes!
Connect with Us:
Follow our journey on social media, join our community events, and be a part of the cycling revolution in Burley In Wharfedale!
Let's come together, for a brighter, more active, and cycling-filled future in the Wharfe Valley! And a huge thanks from us all behind the pump track project and the Burley In Wharfedale Community Trust.