We are a charity supporting adults and young people who have autism and related conditions such as learning disabilities, mental health conditions and neurodiverse conditions.
Autism affects an estimated 700,000 children and adults in the UK. The impact of the pandemic has meant people are waiting even longer to access vital support, there are many who are still awaiting for assessments and diagnosis, there are many families in crisis and desperate for help.
It's common for people to already be in crisis when they come to us. We want to do more to offer support and interventions at earlier stages to provide positive longer term impacts. We believe this shouldn’t be the ‘norm’ for so many people with autism. With the right support, at the right time people can live happy, independent lives.
FOUNDED BY PARENTS
Founded by a group of parents over 35 years ago who wanted the very best for their children, our ethos today remains the same - to empower more people to live independent, fulfilling and happy lives.
Choice is central to our vision. You and I can choose where and how we live, what we eat, wear and do everyday. We believe that everyone, no matter what barriers they are facing, should have those same choices and the chance to realise their full potential.
HOW THE PANDEMIC HAS AFFECTED OUR WORK
- We experienced unprecedented demand for our services during the pandemic, and we continue to see a rise in demand from people in crisis.
- Our charity shops were forced to close, and we were unable to continue our fundraising plans which has meant our income was dramatically affected.
- A number of our volunteers are no longer able to help us due to health conditions following the pandemic.
- Like many social care organisations we lost a number of staff from our care teams due to changes in the regulations and we are struggling to recruit.
Last year we managed to keep 100% of our care support services open and running, but visits to our website increased by 102% and we received more enquiries than ever for our help and support.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
To help us to continue our vital care and support and reach out to more families in crisis we need your help.
We need to be in a position to respond to the continued unprecedented demand for our support. We have seen too many people (and families) in crisis, desperate for help and support. Whether it's £1 or £1,000 - every single donation counts, and will help us continue to fund our vital services.
HOW YOUR DONATION HELPS
Your donation is truly life changing, and will support our work by helping us to provide:
- Specialist, tailored support for vulnerable people who are in crisis
- Sensory and communication tools and equipment to help people who are non verbal to communicate
- Urgent respite support for families who are desperate for a break
- Employment sessions for neurodiverse individuals who are desperate to find paid work
- Education and awareness for businesses, services and employers about disabilities, autism and neurodiverse conditions
We've got so much we want to do during 2022 as we hope we are moving into a life with less restrictions. We are still seeing the lasting affects of the pandemic so we want to make sure we can make this year better for people with autism!
A HUGE THANK YOU
MORE WAYS TO SUPPORT US
You can donate when you shop on Amazon, send an e-card (it's easier and better for the environment!) you can support our charity shops by donating clothes and shopping, or you could volunteer for us - just get in touch!
Don't forget to follow us on our social channels! Facebook and Twitter