My name is Owen Thompson. I grew up in Loanhead, live here with my family, and I’m the SNP candidate for Midlothian in the inevitable upcoming General Election.
There is a strong chance that an election could be called at any time, leaving us with little time to campaign. Elections are expensive, and we need to ensure that our vision reaches as many people across Midlothian as possible in the short time that we have.
In 2015 Midlothian elected me as MP, the first time an SNP candidate had won this seat, but as we know that term only lasted 2 years rather than five, and as such there is much still to be done to support the residents of Midlothian, and to move Scotland towards our Independence.
The harsh realities of a hard Tory Brexit pose a threat to the economy and community in the Midlothian. Where is the safeguarding for critical EU funding to vital sectors such as farming? Where is the protection of the rights of EU citizens who have chosen to make Midlothian their home? Beyond Brexit this Tory Government continue to balance the books on the backs of those who can least afford it. Ignoring calls for fairness from the WASPI women, blaming the BBC for charging the over 75’s for their TV license and being criticised by the United Nations for ignoring the impact of their welfare policies on those they affect.
The SNP has a strong track record on holding the UK Government to account, and a strong record of representing Midlothian - if elected I will work tirelessly to ensure that the voices, concerns and visions of my constituents are heard throughout whatever comes next from the Brexit chaos.
We have already seen what a positive force for good the SNP have been at Westminster:
- We have opposed the counterproductive austerity agenda at its source.
- We have been instrumental in securing UK Government u-turns to cuts to Tax Credits and disability benefits.
- We have passed landmark legislation to end violence against women.
- We have forced the UK Government to investigate companies using Scotland to evade tax.
- We have been the only clear, consistent and unified opposition to the £180bn of taxpayer money utterly squandered on Trident nuclear weapons.
- We have fought to end the Tories’ draconian two-child tax credit cap and abhorrent Rape Clause.
- We have campaigned to reform the UK Government’s punitive sanctions regime, which has forced so many into hunger.
And our work doesn’t stop there. From supporting the WASPI women, to calling for a robust energy strategy and campaigning for a simplified tax system that works for people and businesses, the efforts of the SNP in Westminster are far from finished.
We may only have a handful of weeks to make history, so every donation is welcome!
If you are kind enough to donate more than £50 to my campaign your name and address will be checked against the electoral register to ensure that you are eligible to donate. Your name but not your address will be made available to Council on request after the election.