‘I am writing Normalcy to give a voice to the people caught in the middle: those who do not conform to a sexual or gendered label, but who are exploring fluidity, figuring it out as they go along. It gives voice to those who are terrified of change, and through the protagonist’s journey, Emma, shows us what it takes to see beyond the labels and accept the ones we love as they really are, rather than what we would like them to be.' Bonnie Adair
Bonnie has been developing Normalcy in collaboration with The Actors Temple via the Create project, a new writing initiative at www.actorstemple.com. Normalcy now requires ‘a room of its own’, space and time to support a final essential R&D phase which will provide material from which the final draft will be honed. The Actors Temple and Bonnie will ensure that money raised by yourselves will give the play the exposure and launchpad it deserves via a rehearsed reading in front of industry, friends and colleagues.
We are looking to raise £1600.00, every penny of which will go directly to the company of Normalcy, providing them with the wages their skills deserve throughout the intensive Research and Development process. Your support will also help towards venue hire costs and even the printing out of scripts.
What makes Bonnie and Normalcy deserving of your support is her dedication to honing her unique writing talent and forging her career. As a working class writer Bonnie has had to navigate financial obstacles throughout her career and yet her determination never fades. The difficulties facing working class writers and performers is well documented but the solutions are less than forthcoming in reality. Normalcy is a prime example of the importance in platforming voices such as hers (she is determined to secure both a London and regional run taking the show back to her Northern roots) and we will do our utmost to celebrate and broadcast your support throughout and on behalf of many if successful.
Law Ballard (Dramaturg/Director/Actor - pictured below) and Ellie Zeegen (Dramaturg/AD/Producer) are in no doubt that Bonnie’s voice and the subject matter is unique and essential to our times; Normalcy has the potential to profoundly effect and garner new audiences and with the support from yourselves and The Actors Temple, we know it will be granted the opportunity to be seen and heard by many. Bonnie’s ambition for the project is high and we would all be delighted to reach our target and together play a part in celebrating the acclaim it deserves.
What your donations will be used for:
- Paying our cast and production team of 5 whilst they work on this next development phase. Everyone needs to feel valued and we want to pay our creatives industry rates.
- Rehearsal space sadly doesn’t all come for free. We’ve been lucky to have been gifted space in kind by The Actors Temple for the previous development but now we must move on to pastures new.
- Rehearsed reading costs (printing scripts, basic costume and props & venue hire).
Your donation could make a real difference:
- £10 pays for the script to be printed, so the actors can actually read their lines - fairly essential we think you'll agree!
- £25 pays for an actor's costume
- £60 pays for our stage manager to assist us on the day of the rehearsed reading
- £80 pays for the rehearsal space for our 2 day research and development process
- £250 pays for the venue hire for our rehearsed reading
- £500 pays all the company wages
- £1000 pays for nearly everything and for that we’re truly grateful!