Make: Cornwall is a book about the joy of the hand made, the passion and integrity of makers, and the power of a very special place. In our sumptuously photographed and elegantly designed hardback book we aim to demonstrate the diversity and quality of contemporary craft in the Far West. Cornwall is a hub of exciting talent, home to makers who often incorporate the latest in modern technology while honouring age-old skills. Inspired by the unique landscape of sea and countryside, many of them work in highly sustainable and often co-operative and innovative ways.
Here is our cover:
And here is one of our chapters:
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
Make: Cornwall offers a secret peek into our makers' work spaces (whether a converted barn, garden shed or modern, town-centre studio), their tools and techniques and their making processes, with glorious photos of their finished products and lists of where to see and buy, as well as beautiful portraits of the makers themselves and the landscapes that surround them.
We have travelled all over Cornwall, from St Ives to St Austell, Padstow to Penryn, to find, photograph and interview our varied selection of 25 makers. They include ceramicists and stitchers, jewellers and joiners, even a surfboard constructor and a mocassin-maker. Some are at the very beginning of their careers; others have been in business for decades. Some are relatively undiscovered; others are selling globally through their websites or via prestigious national retailers. What they have in common - apart from being based in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK – is work of the highest quality, designed with flair and produced with absolute integrity. We love what they do, and we think you will, too.
• £10 - A set of five exclusive postcards featuring photographs from the book
• £20 - A copy of our book, normally retailing at £25
• £45 - THREE copies of our book for an incredible price of just £15 each AND your name printed on our supporters' page in the book
The hand-made rewards:
• £35 - A pair of Simplicity brass earrings by Deer & Shine + a copy of the book (normally £45 for both)
• £41 - A unique upcycled bead necklace by Pica Pica + a copy of the book (normally £53 for both)
• £43 - An exclusive cyanotype seaweed print (unframed - unlike our picture), as used on the cover of the book, by Paper Birch + a copy of the book (normally £55 for both)
• £56 - A silver bottle bead bangle by Sarah Drew + a copy of the book (normally £73 for both)
Pledge by going to the list of rewards on the right. You can see images of the hand-made pieces below.
Make: Cornwall will be printed in June 2019 and we aim to mail copies to you, along with your rewards, by mid to late July.
Anya Rice ( below left) is a photographer and stylist who specialises in interiors and still-life work. Katherine Sorrell is a freelance writer who works mainly for interiors magazines, and has written 22 books. They both live in Cornwall and share a passion for contemporary craft.