We need your help to support our most vulnerable and isolated older neighbours in Kilburn and West Hampstead during the coronavirus crisis.
Who we are
For 44 years, Abbey Community Centre has been at the heart of supporting some of the most vulnerable people in Kilburn, West Hampstead and the surrounding areas through our various projects. We've been called a 'playground for adults' and the 'local community hub with a heart'.
Our Kilburn Good Neighbours home-befriending scheme supports 146 older neighbours, the majority of whom are over 75 and face issues of financial disadvantage, social isolation and ill-health. All of our members will be extra at-risk at this time, and completely confined to their homes. They are feeling lonely and anxious - and many are not online so are finding it hard to stay informed, reassured and connected to services as the crisis unfolds.
What we're doing
"Thank you very much for the goods sent with [volunteer]. I also got the delivery from Coop which you arranged, it had quite a few things that I like. I really appreciate all the hard work and I am very grateful for the efforts for getting the food sent especially the orange squash which I like."
- Keeping our phonelines open. For many in our community, we are the first port of call when they have a question, need advice or are craving a chat with a familiar voice. Our phoneline is being staffed five days a week, 10am-4pm. We're taking and making about 150 calls every week, making referrals and ensuring people have everything they need, from food to prescriptions.
- Befriending by phone. Our dedicated team of 47 Kilburn Good Neighbours volunteers have leapt into action and are keeping in weekly contact with their befriending buddy. They are making sure they have everything they need and keeping them amused with reading together, sharing jokes and TV shows.
- Ensuring no one is left behind due to digital exclusion. Our 20+ 'Tech Buddies' volunteers are trained in supporting older people to get online and access support/advice available. We also send newsletters by post.
- Keeping people safe from Covid-19 scams. Protecting the most vulnerable from exploitation and financial crime.
- Running our activities online and by post as much as possible. Abbey is a huge part of the week for lots of people and we need to keep that going.
We're facing a significant income loss at the moment but with increased demand for our help, so donations have never been more vital.
If you donate today, your gift will be doubled by a generous match-funder.
Thank you so much,
The Abbey Team & Kilburn Good Neighbours