Why have we launched a Crowdfunder for North London Cares?
We have launched a matched crowdfunding appeal to enable the charity to support older people in Camden and Islington to stay connected during this time of crisis.
Our team is working tirelessly to help older neighbours to have someone to turn to, and someone to talk to, during this emergency. Already hundreds of phone calls have helped us reassure older people across north London, to ask what people need, and to provide connection in a disconnecting time.
Following the suspension of our face-to-face programmes, we have innovated and created safe and sustainable ways of keeping older and younger neighbours in touch, ensuring that those most vulnerable to isolation are supported.
How will this money be used?
No one should experience isolation alone.
We need your help to fund:
- Online Social Clubs - We’re training older people to use Zoom to connect to our online Social Clubs, either via the internet or telephone. So far, together, we have enjoyed desert islands discs, meditation and chatting about what has made us happy that week.
- Phone friendships – We are piloting a phone friendship scheme with older people across our network who would like to talk to a volunteer on a regular basis.
- #AloneTogether Activity Packs – We’ve curated a programme of new daily activities each month for everyone in the community to take part in, which will be sent to over 1,300 older people. You can see our pack here.
- Sending poems, drawings and messages of hope to over one thousand three hundred older neighbours each month.
- Connecting older people to vital services – North London Cares has worked in the community for over nine years and is a trusted voice to many older neighbours. We’re supporting older Londoners with food and prescription deliveries and connecting them to health agencies, helping them to get financial advice, and so much more, to make sure no one falls between the gaps.
- Supporting the most vulnerable – We’ve identified those who are most affected by isolation and our team, who are trained to support those who are struggling with their mental health, are supporting them with dedicated one-to-one calls each week.
Your support is vital and will enable North London Cares to continue our work during this crisis and support older neighbours in new, innovative ways. All donations will be doubled by a generous supporter up to £10,000.
If you’ve ever considered supporting North London Cares or older people in the area, now is the time. Let's work together to keep our older neighbours connected, even in a scary and disconnecting time.