The impact of Covid-19 has been felt across the UK and these are hard times for all. The netball community has been affected, from local to county to national level. COVID -19 has halted the club’s revenue streams and our existing members have lost not only the capacity to train in their facilities and the opportunity to take part in their chosen sport but also a place to meet with friends and make sporting memories whilst remaining healthy and active.
Our Ethos and Who We Are
Based in Portsmouth and now in it’s 10th year, TeamForce Netball embraces the club ethos, priding itself on being a friendly, competitive and inclusive club, providing netballers from the local community with the opportunity to realise their potential in the sport. Beginning initially as a senior club but creating a junior section soon after, we have seen the club grow exponentially over the last couple of years, now with over 120 members training and competing in local and county leagues, ranging from U11 right through to adults. Our junior and youth members are from 18 different schools/colleges within the local community, all with differing levels of ability and experience but the same passion for the sport.
We Like To Do Our Bit!
Over the years, we have supported numerous charities such as Children In Need, Comic Relief and Bloodwise and we always hold seasonal fun days where we welcome members of the community to join us for some netball fun!
Throughout the lockdown period, the club’s dedicated coaching team have continued to invest their time and provide support, encouragement and motivation to all by creating opportunities to remain active, involved and connected to each other. Throughout this COVID-19 journey, we have been completing exercise zoom sessions where possible, squad online quizzes and daily fitness challenges. Whilst this has been ongoing, many of our members have also been offering support to the community by making face masks, dog-walking and shopping for those considered to be high risk.
TeamForce Staying Connected During Lockdown
A message from Poppy:
But we now face a real challenge
With no definitive end in sight we have suffered significantly reduced cash flow following the cancellation of not only our training schedule, leagues and competitions, but other sporting and social events too. We are a volunteer run club and simply do not have the financial reserves to fund us through a crisis of this duration. All of our usual fundraising activities and events that keep our club afloat have been curtailed by the ongoing pandemic, we especially missed our annual presentation evening.
A message from Lucy:
Looking ahead to the next stage, we are diligently planning how we can reconnect our TeamForce community in a safe and effective manner. Due to the COVID-19 government and governing body restrictions / guidelines, it is quite evident that our previous club programme can not resume in the same manner.
How will it help?
A message from our Lead Covid 19 Officer:
TeamForce Netball is not a profit-making entity and all income generated goes towards overheads including venue hire, coaching fees, umpiring fees, league/tournament entries and training/match equipment.
- It will help us to ensure we can acquire additional venue hire to cater for the restricted numbers allowed in each session to accommodate social distancing measures. To add to this, venue hire costs have also inflated, due to financial difficulty on their part too.
- It will help us to retain the services of our coaches and umpires and supply additional coaching staff to facilitate the additional sessions and the protocols that are required to happen at each.
- It will help us to provide the necessary training and professional development for existing and new members of the coaching team.
- It will help us to support members who are experiencing financial difficulties.
- It will help us to continue to accept new members across the range of ages and abilities. We are delighted that as a community club, we continue to receive numerous weekly enquiries wishing to join TeamForce, however currently, the return for our existing community is proving a big enough challenge - we do not turn anyone away and do not want COVID-19 to force us into doing this either.
- It will help us to provide additional and specialist equipment that supports the safe training under the current guidelines.
- It will help us to provide the appropriate PPE equipment for all first aiders in the club and sanitisation products for all members to sanitise hands and equipment at all netball activity.
We are therefore launching a Crowdfunding campaign to ask for your support in helping TeamForce Netball bridge the unexpected challenges now being faced.
Please support us to return in 'Full Force'!