Where it all begin...
Since December 2020, we've been hosting free exercise classes for older adults every week, all in the name of allowing people to keep active and socialising despite restrictions. We've found from participants that they like the flexibility, reduced time commitment and ease of online classes, so they're here to stay.
Classes are open to older adults across Leeds and beyond and include everything from yoga, to tai chi, zumba, chair based exercise, aerobics and strength conditioning.
Each class is followed by a ‘zoom café’, hosted by Your Back Yard, which allows participants to stay on the call and get to know each other as they would in a real class. In addition, pre-recorded versions of the classes are available to watch anytime on our YouTube channel, Getting Active and Online.
If you'd like to receive the links to the classes, you can sign up here.
Outcomes to date:
- 3,440 attendances on Zoom and YouTube cumulatively, with an average attendance of 25 per class.
- Large majority have seen improved physical health, improved mental health and have fun doing the classes (85%, 81% and 81% respectively).
- We've worked with 14 older adults directly to train them on tablets with the help of volunteers.
Feedback from the class attendees includes:
- “I always feel more alive, brighter and happier after doing a class”
- “It is just great to be moving with company. I have really enjoyed trying something new”
- "Fantastic classes, particularly good at this time of lockdown. They certainly help with physical and mental well-being."
Why we are Crowdfunding:
A big part of the Your Back Yard ethos is making activity accessible for all. Rather than charge everyone per class, a pay as you feel approach means anyone can attend, regardless of financial circumstance.
What does my money get?
£50 pays for a class (£30), with a Zoom cafe (£20), for up for 50 people. That said, any amount donated will directly go towards a complete session! Classes range from yoga, tai chi, aerobics, zumba and strength, we try to include a good mix, and at least 3 a week! In the Zoom cafes, someone from Your Back Yard stays on the call and facilitates conversation amongst class-goers.
What if I can't support financially?
Other ways you can help:
- Sharing the crowdfunder on social media, or telling your friends about it.
- Attending the classes and sending us your feedback.