We worked with older adults across Leeds to provide free exercise classes and activities. We were gaining great momentum, people were enjoying the classes and wanted them to continue:
Then the pandemic hit, bringing activities to a halt...
With everyone locked inside, and activities postponed for the foreseeable future, we had to adapt. The people who once came to our sessions were getting hit the hardest with tough shielding measures and increasing social isolation, which only decreases activity, which is vital for maintaining an independent lifestyle into older age. To make matters worse, increasing resources and tools were being made digital, like food shopping and NHS advice.
- To provide a range of fun online classes (tai chi, zumba, yoga and more!) specifically designed to be suitable for older adults on Zoom and YouTube.
- Each Zoom class is followed by a cafe, where participants can have a chat and a coffee together.
- Provide people with tablets to access the classes which are preloaded with data, set up to be user friendly.
- Provide people with digital training to access the classes, as well as make video calls with friends and family, and access important health guidance.
Progress so far...
We've been overwhelmed by the response we've got! So far, we've:
- Had 343 people on the Zoom classes
- Had 383 views on our YouTube classes
- Trained 8 older people to use a tablet
Funding from The National Lottery has taken us this far. But we don't want to stop there! Every older person deserves the opportunity to get active, online and socialising despite the restrictions.
How you can help...
The people joining these classes and want to see them continue. We hope that if we carry on this work, it can become self sustaining, by charging just a pound or two to participants for each class.
Until then, we need YOUR help. Anything you can spare to put towards this project will help the classes to continue, indefinitely.
£50 would pay for a class with a Zoom cafe at the end for 50+ people.