We will be building the Mental Resilience Classroom that will allow us to run free courses that will equip people with the skills they need to gain employment & keep their mental health in check. We also aim to train more people to become 'Mental Strength Coaches' as this increases the reach of our project to be Citywide. We also want to provide better facilities for people to use that will aid them in their journey for mental resilience.
Why is this project needed?
Northern Ireland is currently suffering from a mental health crisis. Gain Forth is located on the Peaceline in a city where suicide rates are already one of the highest in Europe and on the rise. We operate in a massively deprived area serving the communities of North and West Belfast.
We run a unique 'Mental Strength Coach' program that gives people the skills they need to help look after those people in the community who are at risk.
We have trained up a team of 'Mental Strength Coaches' who are able to mentor and advise people on different areas of mental resilience. This can include a combination of training in a gym, training with a team, nutritional guidance, exercises to do at home, as well as an express counsellor referral scheme with Extern ReachOut to get people the help they need quickly and discreetly.
Meet the team
We are a collection of Personal Trainers & Strength & Conditioning coaches with various areas of expertise. We are all equipped as Mental Strength Coaches which enables us to train people, give nutrition guidance and direct people to the right counselling facilities if needed.
We have trainers who have Qualifications & Degrees such as MSC in Sport & Exercise Science, Masters Degrees in Strength & Conditioning, Nutritionist Degree, Health & Leisure Degree, BSC Health Physical Activity & Sport, Level 4 Strength & Conditioning Coaches, Level 3 Sports Massage, Diploma in Exercise Referral, ASIST Suicide Prevention course to name a few.
Together we make a dream team, kitted out with the skills and abilities that make us leaders in our field. Everyone has a story to tell when it comes to Mental Health. What we have done is to combine these experiences and skills and created an amazing program that can give people the skills they need to help others and help themselves.
We have different physical programs that will be run free of charge to help get people who are normally excluded from exercise activities into the gym and socializing with like-minded people.
We have partnered up with StreetBeat Youth Project, Extern Counselling, Impact Training, Active Community Networks & local football teams so far who have all signed up to have people trained as Mental Strength Coaches.
This is a unique service to an area that is in need of a different outlet to strengthen their mental resilience.
We have identified a gap in provision and wanted to combine the knowledge of the mental health benefits of exercise & nutrition with the accelerated counselling facility which helps us pinpoint and deal with problems a lot faster which relieves the pressure off our health service. Having coaches equipped with the skills to deal with these issues also ensures people get the help they need.
How the Pledges will be used
- Construction of Mental Strength Resilience Classroom, Studwork, Electrical, window, door, plasterboard, plaster, lighting.
- Funds for free Classes to include people who would not be able to afford it
- 4 Laptops installed for Examinations & Coursework.
- 3 Sinks installed in order to make High Calorie & Nutritious shakes for people who struggle with Nutrition.
- Electrical radiators installed.
- Buy Books & Booklets to create a Self Help Library in the Classroom for people to use on their 'Self Help Days'.
- Funds to create 20 'Mental Strength Coaches' from different groups and organisations who can help more people to amplify the outreach of our project.
- Funds to qualify 30 Emergency First Aid First Responders who can assist before ambulance services.
- Funds to qualify 30 people in Level 2 Mental Health Awareness Course
- Bathroom & Showers to be built for people to use before or after sessions or for those who may not have access at home.
- Flooring and carpet for Classroom
- Motivational Images and Slogans painted around the facility.
- Equipment to facilitate bigger groups participating in the inclusion workouts