As we all know, Jonty Evans has seen plenty of drama in his eventing life, many of the readers here will have made a contribution to his story through the successful crowdfunding of his horse Art. Unsurprisingly, there has been a gathering of pace behind the idea of basing a film on Jonty’s remarkable life so far. This project looks to raise the development fund needed to produce the film deck package, the first step on the road to getting a film made.
This not-for-profit project will use raised funds for the essential activities in producing this first package and stands to significantly benefit the 4 nominated charities.
Jan Birley, a keen equestrian & Executive Producer, has teamed up with international production company Studio KS1, to develop the Film or TV series based on the unique and fascinating story of Jonty Evans.
The development of the initial film package is the defining stage in the production of any feature length film or TV series, and involves extensive, highly specialised work including; research, script writing, editing and re drafting, consultation with studio and television executives, creation of the production schedule and budget, completion of appropriate graphic design and artwork to create a ‘deck’. The deck is a collective document that outlines all the salient elements of the project in a design appropriate way. It contains notes on casting, shooting style, cinematography, production design, sound design, music and director’s vision. Leading industry Heads of Department are consulted to provide thoughts and information on each separate design element of the proposed film. The sales package is presented as a complete solution to film distributors, studios, broadcasters and executive producers in order to set out the film as a viable and marketable project.
The development fund is the starting point and the great thing about it is that, on the first day of actual filming, it comes back!
Our plan is that the development fund that we raise here will be donated to charity when production funds are raised and the film goes into production. By getting involved here, not only will you will be allowing this project to take shape and have a firm stake in seeing that the production of this great story into film gets its chance, but you will also be affording that 4 worthy charities get the opportunity of a significant boost. Those charities are:
David Foster - injured riders fund.
Mark Davis injured riders fund.
Nichols Spinal Injury Foundation in the name of Claire Lomas.
Willberry Wonder Pony.
As soon as the development fund starts to build, the work will start! The cogs in the film business can move slowly so it's important that we get cracking and build some momentum as soon as we can.
Jonty is offering one lucky person from all those who pledge to our not-for-profit film starter project, that will benefit our 4 chosen charities, the chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime chance. How will it work? The lucky winner will get the chance of a short lesson riding the fabulous Colley Rourkes Drift with Jonty, himself. Pledge to the project and for every £5 pledged, you will receive one entry into the draw. Those who pledge by 10pm on 30th June will receive DOUBLE entries into the draw.
There will be some conditions - as we all know, Art is Jonty's best friend and Art's wellbeing is always at the centre of Jonty's heart. A weight limit will apply and Jonty will reserve the right to cut short the lesson if he feels it's in Art's best interests. The lesson will be 20 minutes at Jonty's yard on a date to be agreed and the winner will be responsible for making their own way there. This is a great added incentive to pledge to our not-for-profit project.
Who will be involved in producing the film pack?
Jonty Evans: Executive Producer/story advisor (of course & needs no introduction!)
Steven Nesbit: Multi Award-winning writer/director Steven on IMDb
Karl Hall: BAFTA-winning writer / producer Karl on IMDb
Jan Birley: Executive Producer Jan on IMDb
What is the Process?
The process adapts with the learnings of each consultation and the following is a guide only:
- The development team consult on the shape and feel of the film, SWAT analysis of it as a viable project and then begin a critical path analysis of accurately representing and improving via process, the collective vision.
- Extensive consultation with Jonty Evans, to dramatise his life and career for the widest reaching audience.
- Initial consultation with leading Executive producers in the UK and USA to check viability of the offering. What is the industry currently looking for, at what budget level and how can we best provide it with this project?
- Research undertaken with Jonty / media / eventing community to gather necessary information to begin screenplay.
- Synopsis created to agree shape and form of screenplay and film.
- Screenplay commissioned.
- Screenplay notes collated and edited screenplay commissioned.
- Draft budget begun.
- Draft schedule begun.
- Initial Graphic Design consult started.
- Edited screenplay delivered. Budget and Schedule revised accordingly.
- Consulting Heads of Department selected.
- Screenplay delivered to appropriate Heads of Department for consultation on photography, music, production design etc.
- Screenplay and synopsis sent to casting director and then agents to asses talent interest. (Attaching “named” talent is a significant advantage in pre selling any film.
- Research information collated to produce copy for the deck and incorporated with completed graphic design.
- Package presented to Studios, Distributors, Broadcasters, financiers and Executive Producers for pick up.
There is an awful lot to do, but to get this amazing story on to the screen would be a great honour and testament to Jonty and of course all those who have enabled him to succeed in the face of extreme adversity. The team would absolutely welcome your support to get this deserving project out of the start box and on its way.
If you are interested in pledging a custom amount, please get in touch. We have lots to offer.