As a nonprofit community organisation, we aim to better the health & wellbeing of people & planet, through environmental education & awareness, to reduce our impact on the climate.
We had a small Eco Centre based on the outskirts of Uttoxeter at a garden centre. We quickly outgrew our site and we needed a bigger premises that we can grow into, which will enable us to:
- meet the demand of community skills needs
- better the health and well being of our service users
- provide a more experiential eco hub
- support community partner visits i.e. from schools and clubs
- be central and accessible to the community
- provide access to more eco alternatives
- expand our workshop to provide more volunteer opportunities
- create an immersive eco experience to educate and stimulate awareness
- create more employment opportunities and work experience in the green sector
We found a three storey building steeped in Uttoxeter heritage and in the heart of the town. We moved into the new site in October 2020 and are currently establishing various parts of the project, step by step. When finished the new premises will mean we can create a vibrant community hub consisting of:
- Eco Education Hub (classrooms & training pods for use by the community, schools & skills training)
- Wellness Studio (for improving community health and wellbeing)
- Volunteer Craft studio (to expand our existing volunteer programme)
- Recycling Station (for items with problem packaging)
- A Zero Waste Shop (expanding our current shop to offer more to our community)
- Garden Café (Social enterprise)
- Indoor Low-Carbon Garden
This will enable us to provide eco projects, education & skills training, employment and apprenticeship opportunities, volunteering placements, community health and wellbeing sessions, support for startup and non profit organisations, as well as a safe community space to bring us together in what has been one of the most challenging times in recent history. It will also mean we can breathe a little life back into a vacant building, highlighting its heritage and making it a useful part of the community again.
Our new home.... The Mill, Church Street, Uttoxeter
As part of our move, we need funding to help set up our volunteer space on the top floor. The space hasn't been used for over 25 years and is in need of a lot of tlc to make is suitable for use as a volunteer upcycling space. We need to look at everything from ventilation and installation to clearing and decorating, as the building is over 200 years old, we also need to make sure anything we do is sympathetic to the buildings heritage. Please help us raise funds to do this.