About Blend Kitchen
UPDATE 22.7.21- BEFORE YOU READ ON - we want to thank our amazing Patron and music legend Richard Hawley for his ongoing compassion & support for our work... and the fantastic rewards he presented us to support our Crowdfunder - take a look!!
Update 23.7.21- AND we must thank our incredibly generous Blend Kitchen Ambassador, internationally renowned artist, Bubba2000 who has presented us a super rare and sought after artwork as a reward. See the rewards page. Deep thanks from all the BK team.
ABOUT BLEND KITCHEN - and why YOU can help change lives.
We are a social enterprise with a simple yet ambitious aim – to support and change the lives of some of Sheffield’s most vulnerable and disenfranchised people.
We provide structured hospitality training and paid work experience to people who have been marginalised by a lack of access to rights, resources, and opportunities. For many trainees, Blend Kitchen is their first ever experience of paid employment. We are here to give them back their dignity and pride (and a future) whilst challenging societal misconceptions and prejudices
After a successful 2 year pilot project in Sheffield city centre we raised over £350k and in April 2021 launched a new, made to measure, fully accessible and inclusive training kitchen, restaurant and events space on Sheffield's “foodie mile”, Ecclesall Road.
With the help and support of our community we turned this empty space:
We have successfully been supporting and changing those facing the biggest barriers to opportunity, including those affected by diagnosed mental health conditions, autism, both learning and physical disabilities, and homelessness. We also have an outreach programme delivering culinary training and improving family health in Sheffield's most deprived communities.
Why are we crowdfunding?
Soon after launching we were devastated by a serious break in with theft of valuable training assets and thousands of pounds worth of damage.
BREAK IN 1
BREAK IN 2
And then while we were crowdfunding because of this... we were broken into FOR A SECOND TIME, devastating for the entire team.
The assessment of the police and security specialists concluded that our main which doors are set back from the main road create a fatal security blind spot.
Our mindset at Blend Kitchen is to always remain compassionate and to turn negatives into positives. So we are seeking to raise over £10,000 which will:
1) Create a new secure “front lobby” where the break in took place with security shutters
2) Increase CCTV presence at the front and rear
3) Improve lighting at the front and rear
4) Upgrade our alarm system to connect directly to the police
Why will your support turn a negative into a positive? Apart from the critical security benefits, the new lobby will:
1) Prevent heat loss making Blend Kitchen more energy efficient
2) Create seating for more customers, increasing our revenue potential
3) Mean a much more visible “shop front” to attract passing trade and increase revenue potential
4) Any funds raised over our target will be used for a dedicated outreach project in the community where the young adults who committed the break in come from. By connecting and supporting we have more chance to change society than by further marginalising and disenfranchising. This would be an incredible result, don’t you think?