Animate Arts is on a Mission!
We have challenged ourselves to get every primary and special needs school child in Kent involved in an arts activity in 2020.
Today, almost 50% of teachers feel that the quality of arts provision has worsened in the last 10 years.
Fabian Society report in January 2019
Over the past ten years we have witnessed a decline of creative activities in schools first-hand - and we want it to stop!
Following the massive success of Art Builders 2019, our big build art programme involving over 200 children and 8 lead schools, we now want to enable every primary school in Kent to programme an arts week – or day, giving all their young children an opportunity to get involved in the arts and be creative.
We believe that Art Days should be programmed as regularly as Sports Days!
To do this, we realised that as well as inspiring children in the classroom, we need to work with their teachers, too, to make dream happen.
Why is it Important?
With the arts being squeezed out of the curriculum, schools are struggling to find the time and resources to bring art to the classroom.
Art is a powerful tool that allows creative voices to be heard, raises confidence, develops problem-solving, communication and creative thinking skills. These are essential tools to prepare the next generation for the future.
Schools, quite rightly, programme a Sports Day every year as part of their school traditions. However Art Days – or Art Weeks, aren’t given the same guaranteed status, and yet research shows how the arts can benefit everybody’s education and well-being.
This campaign aims to champion art experiences for every child, every year.
We want to make a unique Art Builders 2020 handbook, written by professional artists, to support teachers to make art activities happen in their schools. It will be full of inspirational ideas and practical tools to use in the classroom.
The book will be gifted to 500 primary and special educational needs schools in Kent.
In addition we want to run a programme of workshops for teachers to develop their skills, ideas and confidence to lead art activities in their schools
We think that this is the best way we can help to ensure quality arts provision survives and grows in our primary schools.
Please Help Us:
- To make an ‘Art Builders 2020’ handbook for every primary and SEN school in Kent (500 copies)
- To lead a series of empowering, skills-building masterclasses for teachers led by Animate Artists, so that they can confidently lead art activities in the classroom
The Wider Vision
Each Art Builders 2020 handbook includes an invitation to make an art work for Animate Art’s biggest-ever art installation – The Paper Orchard.
In June 2020, Animate Arts plan to build their biggest cardboard installation ever. Collectively Kent schools and professional artists will build over 400 trees made entirely from cardboard and paper which will be displayed in several pop-up, life-size 'orchards'. Celebrating the natural countryside of Kent, the installation will be exhibited in various locations like shopping centres, galleries and tourist attractions in north, east, south, west and mid Kent.
Who is Animate Arts?
- Founded by Jo Dyer, we are a national award-winning team of experienced professional artists and makers.
- We make high-quality participatory art projects.
- We specialise in making big build installations in paper and cardboard - in previous projects we have made a life-size apothecary shop; a moon buggy; a walk-through model of London city and even a garden!
- We work creatively with people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds.
- We bring people together by connecting young people and communities with professional artists, performers and creatives.
- Each of our artist-led projects (ranging from half-day workshops to large scale public art events) is individually designed to encourage participants and audiences to find their creative voice and bring their ideas and imaginations to life.
What We Believe
Engaging in Art Activity raises self-confidence, engages, empowers and motivates people
Art-making is an essential experience for young brains!
Children learn to problem-solve, communicate better & think creatively via art
Teachers should be empowered to teach art
Creative Thinking and Idea-making is a vital skill
Creativity is essential to our health and wellbeing
Art prepares children for the future
Art Builders 2019 in pictures
How Will We Use the Funds Raised?
Your money will be vital in helping us to achieve the following:
- Production and graphic design costs of the ‘Art Builders 2020’ handbook
- A series of skills-building masterclasses for teachers led by Animate Arts' experienced professional artists
- Print costs of 500 'Art Builders 2020' handbooks
- Postage & distribution of the book to all 500 primary/SEN schools in Kent
Art Builders 2019 - Meet the Team
Headed up by founder and Artistic Director, Jo Dyer, we are a team of professional artists and makers who passionately believe that the arts are a powerful tool to engage, empower and motivate people.
And we can make almost anything out of cardboard!
Art is my favourite, favourite, favourite thing!
Year 2 participant in Art Builders 2019, St Alphege Infant School