We're 4 BROWN GIRLS WHO WRITE, a London based poetry collective who have been invited to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe this summer. Boom!
We were so gassed at the opportunity and wanted to share the love with our friends. So we've put together 4 BROWN GIRLS WHO WRITE Presents The Poetry Phamily.
We’re taking some of the best talent on the scene with us:
- Nadia Javed, musician and lead singer of the band The Tuts, who has just finished a sold out tour with The Specials (The Specials!) and will be showcasing her solo talent
- Aisha Mirza who also goes by their DJ name @angelatlast, a bitingly insightful writer, commentator and stand-up comedian
- Sanah Ahsan an award-winning poet who most recently won the Out Spoken Performance Poetry Award
- Tanaka an international poet & performer who is absolutely killing it on the scene right now
- Chirag Goyate a solid member of London's samba community, actor, singer and will be hosting the show.
BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP TO GET US THERE.
We're excited to put on an absolute firecracker of a show but to say we’ve been “invited” is misleading. It's costing us thousands more than we originally anticipated. We’ve already had to shrink our ambitions from a 4 week run to 1 week. On top of that factoring in the time we’re asking of our artists to take out from their lives and the production and logistical costs we’ve realised that we can’t do this by ourselves.
It feels so important to take up space in what is otherwise an incredibly privileged and often inaccessible event to those who may not have the financial mobility to get there and that's where we really need your help.
It’s a rare thing to find a show that truly centres and celebrates people of colour (POC) creatives & collaboration. With your support we think we could curate something incredibly special and important. We also want to make sure we can provide accommodation for our performers and crew and that we can reimburse them for their valuable time!
We're currently trying to raise funds for:
- Production costs, Fringe Fees
- Travel & Accommodation for Artists & crew to Edinburgh for one week
- Paying artists for their time
In thanks of your support you’ll be the first to see our show. We know not all of you can make it to Edinburgh but we're planning a London SPECIAL PREVIEW SHOW on the 19th July so you can see what we’re going to take up there and we can have a massive party afterwards to celebrate how amazing you all are for helping us make it happen.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer, even if it’s just sharing this page!
4 BROWN GIRLS WHO WRITE + The Poetry Phamily