Who are we?
Farms Not Factories is a small not-for-profit organisation that works through campaigns and film-making to expose the true costs of cheap meat from factory farms to inspire people to only buy meat from local, high-welfare farms.
We want to raise £10,000 to create and publicise a series of short films featuring celebrity chefs making a delicious pork dish while explaining why serving high welfare meat is so important. Farmers who provide the pork explain how they raise their happy and healthy pigs.
Mark Hix, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Amelia Freer and Jemima Jones are amongst our celebrity chefs and influential foodies who live and breathe healthy and delicious food.
Our new series of celebrity led films will inspire people to use the power of their purse to help end factory pig farming by only buying pork from local, high-welfare farms and #TurnYourNoseUp at factory farms. In supermarkets, look for labels RSPCA assured, outdoor bred, free-range or organic.
We need to change the fact that presently 75% of pigs eaten in the UK are raised in factory farms like these:
54% of the pork eaten in the UK is imported - raised in conditions that are illegal in the UK, like these:
Factory farming animals carries five heavy costs:
1. Animal abuse through confinement, mutilation, exploitation, neglect and denial of natural behaviours.
2. Due to the above, disease is rife in factory farms. To prevent these diseases the pigs are given routine doses of antibiotics. This overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistant bacteria, that pass from pigs to humans.
3. This so called cheap pork flooding the market, undermines the livelihoods of real farmers and rural economies.
4. Waste effluent sickens local residents and pollutes local watercourses. Rainforest is destroyed to plant GM soya for pig feed. The soya is then treated with toxic pesticides that poison local people and wildlife.
5. The globalisation of our livestock system, into the grip of giant multinational corporations, has resulted in the loss of food sovereignty.
What will the money we raise be used for?
- The production of the films
- Transport and other overhead costs
- Promotion of the films on social media
£5 - Your name on our website to thank you for your donation and support.
£10 - Two A4 sheets of 35 Farms Not Factories stickers, and your name on our website to thank you for your donation and support.
£25 - A pack of high welfare bacon, sausages or 'RoamSticks' from one of our supporting farms below.
- High Farndale - If you believe in provenance, slow food and low input farming you'll enjoy High Farndales produce. The result is meat as it used to be, meat as it's meant to be. www.highfarndale.co.uk
- Porcus - Porcus is a small farm business nestling on the moors above the incredible food town of Todmorden in the South Pennines. The traditional rare breed pigs are raised outdoors to the highest welfare standards, just as nature intended. www.porcus.co.uk
- Andarl Farm - Andarl is right up there with the small handful of artisans who produce the best pork throughout Ireland. Their pork is velvety, tender, sweet, subtle and disarmingly delicious. www.andarlfarm.ie
- Green Pasture Farms - Green Pasture Farms is a collective of traditional family farms in the North Lancashire area of Pendle. All the meat is reared ethically, fed its natural diet, and allowed to roam freely in the green pastures of Pendle. www.greenpasturefarms.co.uk
- Roam Sticks - All the pork from Roam Sticks comes from non-GMO, pasture raised pork from small family farms. Add that to the fact that it is also FREE of antibiotics, hormones and growth stimulants! www.roamsticks.com
£35 - A Farms Not Factories tote bag designed by Vivienne Westwood.
£50 - A limited edition Farms Not Factories square T-shirt designed by Vivienne Westwood. Size guide here.
£70 - A limited edition Farms Not Factories square T-shirt designed by Vivienne Westwood and signed by one of our supporting celebrities. Size guide here.
- Signees and sizes available while stocks last: Vivienne Westwood (1xM) / Mark Hix (4xL & 2xM) / Sadie Frost (4xL & 3xM) / Simon King (5xL & 3xM) / Leslie Ash (6xL & 2xM) / Dominic West (6xL & 11xM) / Miranda Richardson (1xL) / Jeremy Irons (4xL & 5xM)
£150 - An A3 print of one of our 12 celebrity supporters holding a pig (choose from the montage below), or a 65cm x 32cm montage of all 12 celebrities (as displayed below). All photos taken by world famous photographer Clive Arrowsmith. Lambda print on satin finish medium weight paper. These prints are unsigned & not limited editions.
Montage 1st Row, L-R: Dominic West, Helen McCrory, Jeremy Irons.
Montage 2nd Row, L-R: Jon Snow, Vivienne Westwood, Miranda Richardson.
Montage 3rd Row, L-R: Richard E Grant, Sadie Frost, Mark Hix.
Montage Bottom Row, L-R: Leslie Ash, Simon King, Rupert Everett.
£1000 - A signed, numbered and limited edition A3 print of one of our celebrity supporters holding a pig, or a 65cm x 32cm montage, by world famous photographer Clive Arrowsmith. Signed only by Clive Arrowsmith. Lambda print on satin finish medium weight paper.
- Single portraits: Jon Snow (x1) / Rupert Everett (x2) / Vivienne Westwood (x1) / Sadie Frost (x1) / Richard E. Grant (x1) /Leslie Ash (x2) / Helen McCrory (x2) / Miranda Richardson (x1) / Dominic West (x2)
- Montage of all our celebrity supporters (x14) - (This print is 65cm x 32cm, as displayed above).
£1500 - A signed, single edition, framed A3 print of one of our 12 celebrity supporters holding a pig, by world famous photographer Clive Arrowsmith. Signed by both Clive Arrowsmith and the featured celebrity. Lambda print on satin finish medium weight paper.
Options: Simon King (x1) / Sadie Frost (x1) / Leslie Ash (x1) / Mark Hix (x1) / Miranda Richardson (x1) / Jon Snow (x1) / Vivienne Westwood (x1)
When will we release the films?