FAIR TRADE FIESTA May 13th
Organised for the second time, Fair Trade Fiesta aims to highlight Scotland's renewed Fair Trade Nation status and celebrate World Fair Trade Day on Saturday 13th of May. By involving people of all ages and backgrounds we hope to raise more awareness on the Fair Trade Movement through a vivid Carnival Parade and engaging FREE five hour Concert with Red Hot Chilli Pipers headlining the event and over 200 performers on board with us!
Presented by Fair Trade Ambassador, broadcaster & journalist Gail Porter and with President of the World Fair Trade Organisation, Rudi Dalvai, attending from Netherlands, this event hopes to inspire all attending to become more ethically minded.
1pm @ City Chambers: Fiesta Carnival Parade
2pm-7pm @ Ross Band Stand: Fiesta Concert
The Carnival Parade starts at 1pm from The City Chambers right in the heart of The Royal Mile, going down to Princes Street Gardens via The Mound. With the Parade then gathering at the Ross Band Theatre, there will be a wide range of performances taking place at the Concert from 2pm onwards; with pipe-bands, samba, reggae, jazz, soul, dance and more promising to entertain and educate all people attending this fantastic event.
Musicians and performers taking part in the Fair Trade Fiesta include: Cantara, Davidson Mains Pipe Band, Edinburgh Samba School, Pulse of the Place, Martin Aelred, Leanne & the Radix, Edinburgh Got Soul, Glasgow Gospel Choir, Nadia Alkoc, One Tribe and Zuba.
Fair Trade Fiesta is a completely non for profit event managed and funded by Hand Up Events - a social action business that primarily exists to platform and promote fair and ethical trade, through several events like Fair & Ethical Trade on the Fringe, Castle Street Summer Fair, fashionABLE, The Dundee Christmas Fair etc. All to provide a positive mainstream engagement for all people interested in more sustainable ways of life.
What makes Fair Trade so valuable and important, is the fact that it helps farmers and producers all around the world to obtain fair prices for their goods while also supporting better working conditions. We believe in fairer more sustainable practises that Fair Trade aspires to, and therefore feel really strongly that platforming such an engaging event as Fair Trade Fiesta, will not only provide people with a positive and uplifting experience, but will also educate and inspire people to use the power of choice, we consumers have, to make better more sustainable choices.
Fair Trade Fiesta is proud to celebrate Scotland's recent Fair Trade Nation renewal status, one of two Fair Trade Nations in the world. So therefore we believe this Fair Trade spirit should be shared and celebrated by engaging young people, schools and universities, interfaith groups, community groups, disability groups, Fair Trade organisations/businesses and individuals in participating at this great event.
YOUR HELP IS SO IMPORTANT!
- To provide this fantastic world music & dance experience, there will be hundreds of performers at this event.
- So the funds we are raising will go towards the performers' expenses.
- With many other costs – including staging, licensing, security, sound, hiring The Ross Band Theatre, decorations, first aid, etc the cost of putting this event together will be in the region of £20,000, yet this engaging event is so worth it, and your support will be so valued and appreciated!
- All the supporters will be added to the Fair Trade Fiesta film that will be produced on the day.
- Fair Trade Fiesta will also be funded through food and drink sales on the day thanks to Andrew Tanner Catering; stall hire; public donations and we hope some assistance from The Scottish Government.
PLEASE SUPPORT AND JOIN THIS POSITIVE AND INSPIRING EVENT!