A Secret Sari Dress is a dress which unfolds from a small pouch on the back of the dress. The production and sale of the dresses unfold women's power in India.
The Secret Sari Dress Project began in September 2016 and was an overnight success because of the enthusiasm and support of customers from social business, Secret Pillow Project. A rewards based crowdfunding campaign called Fashion Unfolds Women's Power, went viral resulting in over 500 Secret Sari Dresses being pre- ordered enabling 70 young women to be trained to make them. Each of the women where living in government safe houses having been rescued from brothels. As the women waited for their cases to be heard in court and a safe passage home, they produced the dresses. Many of the young women have now left the safe houses and returned home with a transformational amount of money in their hand to help keep them safe on the next stage of their life journey.
The Guardian's ethical living journalist, Lucy Siegle, discovered the story of the Secret Sari Dress Project and featured the dresses in her column on Mother's Day. A further 500 dresses where pre-ordered and many new and incredible customers joined the tribe of Secret Pillow Project, (aka Secret Projects). All the dresses are being chosen by waiting customers on Saturday 20 May 2017 at 10.30am. Click here to find out about The Big Choosing. There were 1000 dresses produced in the first round and they have all been pre-ordered. The demand remains high so we have launched this second round.
Please pre - order your Secret Sari Dress today by backing this campaign.
The high quality and beauty of the first batch gives us confidence to develop the Secret Sari Dress range. The following Secret Sari Dresses are available for pre order.
- Secret Sari Dress made from vintage sari, size small/medium (£25 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from vintage sari, size medium / large (£25 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new synethic sari, size small/medium (£30 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new synethic sari, size medium/large (£30 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new cotton sari, size small/medium (£30 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new cotton sari, size medium/large (£30 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new silk blend sari, size small/medium (£40 including global shipping)
- Secret Sari Dress made from a new silk blend sari, size medium/large (£40 including global shipping)
The Big Choosing Number 2, will take place on Saturday 22 September 2017 at 10.30am GMT. The dressses will be delivered in time for Christmas and sent directly from our Indian Production Support Unit in Bengaluru.
As we move forward with the project, not all the dresses will be produced in safe houses, the rest of our maker network spanning 6 Indians states, will be trained up as well.
Please forgive us for not putting together a longer explaination of the project, we are pushed for time and dont want to lose pre orders. Please watch the video to get a really good feel for project. If you are left with questions, please jump on our Live Chat function at the bottom right of our home page. Click here to visit the home page.
We look forward to welcoming you to the project in June, after this campaign has closed.
Unfolding Women's Power