You can help Sussex achieve a record-breaking finish at the largest ever international student motorsport competition.
To say thank you for your support, we’re offering different levels of recognition in our pit lane, seen by thousands of people over the weekend, as well as exclusive Mobil 1 merchandise! See our rewards on the right, or scroll down for further details.
Who are Mobil 1 Sussex Racing?
Mobil 1 Sussex Racing is The University of Sussex’s Formula Student team, consisting of 13 young talented 4th year engineers from various disciplines such as mechanical, electrical and computer engineering. Our task is to design, manufacture and race a single seat Formula One style car.
So what is the Formula Student Competition?
Formula Student is the world’s largest student motorsport competition, in which top engineering students from over 100 globally recognised universities build and race a Formula style racing car. The finale of this competition takes place every year at the world famous Silverstone racetrack. In 2016 over 130 teams from 30+ countries competed in the event, with over 100,000 people spectating!
The work towards the competition contributes towards the grading of our final master’s degree classification. With Ross Brawn OBE (Formula One Managing Director of Motorsport) as the patron, there is no better way to give Sussex international recognition for excellence in engineering.
Why does Sussex Racing need your support ?
This year’s Sussex Racing team are more ambitious than any before. With extreme plans well and truly underway in order to shave off seconds from our lap times and push us up the league tables, Sussex Racing require assistance to fund these tough new challenges.
Your support will help us to:
- Introduce front and rear wing spoilers for the first time in SR history
- Upgrading our prototype differential to a Drexler FSAE differential
- Introducing pneumatic gear change, significantly reducing our gearshift times, reducing our transfer time back to full throttle
- Manufacturing our wishbones from Carbon Fibre material
- Advanced telemetry systems capable of measuring our drivers every move from the comfort of our pit-lane
We are certain that with the right backing each of our team members can succeed in their ambitious tasks, but we can only do this with your help!
How has Sussex Racing previously ranked in Formula Student?
SR-16: Our 2016 team placed 9th in the UK teams, including winning the Business Case Presentation worldwide as part of the static Business event, in which the team pitched a “Dragon’s Den” style sales presentation to a panel of highly established industrial leaders, all relative to the many fields covered across Formula Student. They were also our first ever Sussex Racing team to propose and successfully implement an aluminium monocoque body design, finally finishing 9th out of the UK and 43rd in the world.
TS-15: Our 2015 team is our highest ranking team to date, coming in at 28th out of a total 135 entrants. To celebrate the department’s 50th anniversary, they also had the design of their vinyl wrap painted personally by Argentinian artist María Inés Aguirre, world renowned for her work’s colour, energy and spontaneity. As a result, Sussex Racing had the most colourful and vibrant looking vehicle of Silverstone 2015, and we couldn’t have been any more grateful for her work!
What can I expect in return?
In return for your kind support of the team, a series of rewards have been presented on the right hand side of this page, which includes:
- A sign-up to SR's monthly newsletter, to follow the progress and development of the team
- A thank-you postcard personally signed by one of the team here at SR-17
- A picture of yourselves on our supporters wall at Silverstone (subject to SR's discretion)
- Tickets to SR-17's launch event, the first private showcase of this years vehicle
- Tickets to Formula Student at Silverstone, to come and support Sussex Racing personally
- Tickets to a draw (see below) for our exclusive Formula 1 merchandise provided by our headline sponsor Mobil 1!
As we only have a limited supply of Formula 1 merchandise, we've decided to run a "lottery" type campaign for these prizes, where the amount of "tickets" you will receive per donation quantity is listed on the right hand side of this page.
All winners will be selected at random, with first place winning a signed hardback Mobil 1 book, covering Mobil 1's first 100 wins in motorsport, as shown below:
Seven additional runner up prizes are also up for grabs, official Mobil 1 hats such as pictured below:
How can I follow Sussex Racing’s progress and get involved?
On behalf of all the team here at Sussex Racing, thank you for your support to help push Sussex Racing #SROffTheLine!