Newport Legends is a community opera project produced by Operasonic and working with young people and communities in Newport, South Wales. Four groups are creating four different Legend operas:
Clytha Primary School Legend Makers - The Legend of Tom Prothero
St Michael's R C Primary School Legend Makers - The Legend of The Flood
Maindee Community Legend Makers - The Maindee Legends
St Woolos Primary School Legend Makers - The Legend of Twm Barlwm
The Legend Maker groups will perform their opera in their schools and community alongside professional singers and musician for friends, family and teachers to see. Here are some of the pupils from Clytha Primary working with composer Richard Barnard and director Hannah Noone.
Operasonic are planning to have one epic afternoon of opera at our local venue, The Riverfront Theatre, on Sunday 2nd July, where we bring all four Legend operas together on one stage. As part of this performance, we will also create a frame for the four operas to sit within, a story to guide us through the stories written by award winning composer Errollyn Wallen for our two professional opera singers.
Newport Legends - The Riverfront Theatre - 4.30pm Sunday 2nd July 2017
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP!
By donating to this project, you'll be helping Operasonic to do the following:
- bring all the participants together to showcase and share their amazing work in a professional venue.
- give our young participants the memorable experience of performing on a big stage in front of a live audience.
- celebrate Newport and all the amazing stories, myths, legends and people who live there.
- give all participants their own Newport Legends T-shirt to take away and keep so they never forget what they have achieved.
- pay for an ensemble of 4 professional musicians to play for the performance - making it an extra-special experience!
We have already secured pledges of funding from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation, Ty Cerdd and Newport Live for the community and schools workshops, but we really need your help to support the final performance. You can be legendary too by donating to support Newport Legends!
About Newport Legends Creative Team
Drama Leaders: Rhian Hutchings, Polly Graham, Hannah Noone, Philippa Reeves
Singers: Adam Jondelius, Philippa Reeves
Set and Costume Designer: Seren Fenoulhet Animation Designer: Webber Design
Operasonic is an opera company based in Newport, South Wales and led by Creative Director Rhian Hutchings. Operasonic is passionate about opera as an artform that connects people to creativity. We create a range of opportunities for young people to explore, create and experience opera, and we put participation at the heart of every process we undertake.