The headlight lens covers for the Vauxhall VX220 and Opel Speedster degrade with time and use, through the following mechanisms:
- UV discolouration and cracking from exposure to sunlight
- 'grit blasting' from road debris, resulting in a less transparent lens cover.
- Cracking from incompatibility with polyurethane bonding agents such as Tigerseal or Sikaflex, often used to seal gaps in headlights
Headlight lens covers are not available separately so require purchase of an entire headlight, coming in at £1200 for a RHD item or 2000 Euros for a LHD headlight. This project will supply the customer with separate lens covers at a fraction of the cost. The manufacture of the lens will match that of the original and is detailed as follows:
- Injection moulded polycarbonate using high polished S136H steel moulds for high transparency.
- Include the original ridge on the inside of the covers, to facilitate fitment and prevent bleeding of the bonding compound
- Black edging, as per original.
- Sold in pairs.
- Provided with PIB bonding adhesive (does not degrade plastic lens covers)
The project has already progressed from the creation of a 3D CAD model of the lens to RFQ (Request For Quotes), to initial deposit for mould production. This funding aspect of the project identified here will start on receipt and agreement of the sample items from the supplier, to production and delivery of the final lens covers.
This translates to a project that is initially 33 % funded. Delivery of lenses to the end customer will start approximately 90 days from 100 % funding.
Retail cost once completed will be £180 per pair for anyone who wishes to buy the units after the crowdfunding campaign has finished.
I own a Vauxhall VX220 and have designed, manufactured and supply uprated heaters. Almost 200 units have been supplied so far with positive reception and still high demand. I try to involve myself in projects which address weak areas of the VX220; first the heater upgrade, and now providing a way to quickly and cheaply refresh headlight units. Production of the heaters required design and injection moulding of the fan assembly, as well as use of a freight company to bring these parts into the country. These contacts will be reused here to ensure the quality of the parts meet expected standards.